[SOLVED] Auto login of multiple user accounts at startup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2022
Greetings friend,

So I have several computers running that have multiple user accounts on Windows 10, each of them perform specific program task. But my issue is when I have to restart the computer, then I have to manually log on each user, which can sometimes be abit time consuming.

So I was wondering if anyone know a way to auto login multiple user accounts at startup?

Example:

Start up - > AutoLogin User1 - > AutoLogin User2 -> AutoLogin User3 -> AutoLogin User4 -> AutoLogin User5

Currently:

Startup -> AutoLogin User1 -> Manually Login User2 -> Manually Login User3 -> Manually Login User4 -> Manually Login User5

I know I can set windows to automatically log on one user at a time, but not more than one.

Thank you in advance. I appreciate all of the helpful information provided. :)

Solution
edit: moved this to top since it is a more simple answer:
windows has a built in runas program that does all of this. just start cmd.exe and type the runas command to get info.
--------------
well, it would depend on what you wanted to do.
for example you can log on with user 1 credentials
then access a network resource using user 2 by over riding the credentials. then do the same with user 3, 4 or what ever.

for example start cmd.exe as an admin then you want to use a resource that only user 2 has access to.
you would use:
net.exe use \\servername\ipc$ /U:user2 *
where the * is a actual * or the actual password.

this will establish a null session that will provide these credential for any further connection to that server...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You would want them to at least show on the logon screen so you could pick which one you want to use. Otherwise how would windows know which to logon at startup

You cannot have two users auto-logged using this feature in at the same time. The reason actually makes sense: The Windows auto logon functionality logs the user into the console session and only one such interactive session is possible on a computer.

If you managed to get two users to Auto logon, one of the sessions would become disconnected and inaccessible from the console. While there are certainly cases where logging in multiple non-interactive users may be desirable, this is not what the auto logon function was designed for.

Further this Auto log on functionality is the only method that exists to automatically log a full user session in (from the local machine that is). Other ways to log a user in exist, for example by executing a task as a specific user, but none of them result in a full desktop session being created.

One possible workaround would be to automatically initiate a remote desktop connection from another computer. That would successfully create a full log on session that would work alongside the built-in Auto log on functionality.

https://superuser.com/questions/1430218/windows-enable-autologon-for-two-users

so you want auto password entry but not really auto logon.
I am not aware of a way to do that

Feb 21, 2022
You would want them to at least show on the logon screen so you could pick which one you want to use. Otherwise how would windows know which to logon at startup

https://superuser.com/questions/1430218/windows-enable-autologon-for-two-users

so you want auto password entry but not really auto logon.
I am not aware of a way to do that

Hello Colif, thank you for reaching out aldready.

Currently none of the users has password to sign in, so no im not looking for auto password entry, only to show that the user has been signed in.

Please have a look in image i have uploaded. >>> Image Here <<<
Here you can see when i turn on the computer, only one of 6 users is signed in, so i have to manually log on the other 5 users to have them signed in.

I would like find a way to skip this part, so when i turn on the computer all 6/6 users are already signed in, and i dont have to do the manually part.

If you know something im happy to hear :)

edit: moved this to top since it is a more simple answer:
windows has a built in runas program that does all of this. just start cmd.exe and type the runas command to get info.
--------------
well, it would depend on what you wanted to do.
for example you can log on with user 1 credentials
then access a network resource using user 2 by over riding the credentials. then do the same with user 3, 4 or what ever.

for example start cmd.exe as an admin then you want to use a resource that only user 2 has access to.
you would use:
net.exe use \\servername\ipc$ /U:user2 *
where the * is a actual * or the actual password.

this will establish a null session that will provide these credential for any further connection to that server. IPC$ is a hidden share for interprocess communication. This connection will be auto reconnected when the workstation starts up and should continue until someone types
net use \\servername\ipc$ /delete

the credentials can come from the local accounts database or a fully qualified controller. net use /? should show the syntax

some changes over the years have put restrictions on using null session. these are controlled by some flag in the registry.

I guess a more secure/modern method might be using
redential manager
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-manager-1b5c916a-6a16-889f-8581-fc16e8165ac0

view in control panel->user accounts->credential manager
look at the windows credentials and select add credential option to add the username password and the resource to use

you can even use the null session to connect to your local workstation to run a app for a specific user.
you would just share out the resource on your local machine, then make a connection thru the null session with alternate credentials.

you can see the hidden shares via
net.exe share
command.. any share with a $ at the end of the name is hidden.
here is an example:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> net share

Share name Resource Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C$ C:\ Default share
IPC$ Remote IPC
print$ C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers
Printer Drivers
ADMIN$ C:\WINDOWS Remote Admin
test c:\test
The command completed successfully.

I a hidden share sharing out my drive C:
and a public share of c:\test

you might also want to look at this microsoft tool. it would be more user friendly:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/shellrunas

this tool can also be useful to find what sessions are logged on your machine at one time:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/logonsessions

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.