Question Auto-update games on a specific network.

Anguser

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2015
Hi,
I want to set up my PC games across Steam, Epic, Origin, Riot, for auto-update, however, only when I am connected to my home Wi-Fi.
Is there any way to do this?

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

Are you switching between wired and wireless networks on a regular basis? Home, work, internet cafes, etc..

Why Wi-Fi? Downloads/updates likely to be faster and more reliable if you use a wired connection.

For the most part you will need some script that runs in background that monitors the PC's network connection and allows updates:

IF connected wirelessly and IF connected to home wireless network THEN enable Auto-update as a start.

You will need additional script to specify game sites and games thus permitted to auto-update.

Likely to be very cumbersome and any number of small configuration changes could cause the auto-updates to fail.

What sort of update problem(s), if any, are driving the requirement?

Anguser

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2015
More information needed.

Are you switching between wired and wireless networks on a regular basis? Home, work, internet cafes, etc..

Why Wi-Fi? Downloads/updates likely to be faster and more reliable if you use a wired connection.

For the most part you will need some script that runs in background that monitors the PC's network connection and allows updates:

IF connected wirelessly and IF connected to home wireless network THEN enable Auto-update as a start.

You will need additional script to specify game sites and games thus permitted to auto-update.

Likely to be very cumbersome and any number of small configuration changes could cause the auto-updates to fail.

What sort of update problem(s), if any, are driving the requirement?

Hi thank you so much for the reply, and sorry for the delayed response from me.

Your first point is right, that I often connect to various networks, and hence only wanted auto-update to work on my home network (wired/wireless). I often use public wifi or my mobile hotspot, so just don't want auto-update to work on those networks.
Today there are so many launchers on PC that it's quite laborious to manually update games every time you want to launch them, and quite a bummer too when there are sudden large updates waiting.
I thought of making a script too, but I am more of a hardware guy than software, and navigating through the DRM techniques used by these distributors seems near impossible to me,

For now, I have moved all games to my external SSD, as it also keeps me from the temptation of playing games all the time. And I launch all launchers every time I am home and SSD plugged in. A caveman solution and still not automatic but working so far 😁.