[SOLVED] Automatic updates

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
How donI turn off automatic updates since the new one makes cpu usage go high.Is there a way to turn off?

I paused updates till October 10th

Solution
The "problem optional update" has not been installed on your system. It is not in the list of installed updates nor pending updates.

I really don't know what you want me to tell you. You need to produce a lot more evidence of some sort of actual problem before anyone could help you, and so far nothing looks even in the slightest way out of the ordinary.

gardenman

Splendid
While I understand your frustration, turning off auto-updates is a bad idea. Future security updates will then be blocked.

Microsoft has been really bullish on auto updates. You can disable them and they usually re-enable them through some method or another. While there may be a few special programs out there that will allow you to block updates, it's hard to tell which ones actually work over time.

The easiest and safest thing you could do is uninstall the KB4512941 update if you have problems with it. Maybe Microsoft will release a fix.

If not, you can fix it by editing the registry (not recommended for novices) and then rebooting. That's how I fixed it on 2 of my systems. Only 2 of my 4 systems were affected. If you try that, be sure to make a registry backup first. See the post below:
But there's no need to fix it until you have a problem. If you haven't tried the update, try it first. You may be OK. If not, uninstall it or work on fixes.

Reactions: PC Tailor

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
You don't need to. The update causing issues is KB4512941, and it is an OPTIONAL update that you must activate the Download and install link shown in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane before it will install.

You don't activate that link, it doesn't install. Optional updates are quite rare, but this is one of them.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
You don't need to. The update causing issues is KB4512941, and it is an OPTIONAL update that you must activate the Download and install link shown in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane before it will install.

You don't activate that link, it doesn't install. Optional updates are quite rare, but this is one of them.
Its not "Optional"for me.Inwas going to turn off my pc when I saw that I needed an update and it was the KB4512941

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I suggest you look exactly where I mentioned.

They're either issued as optional or not, and this one is one of the incredibly rare optional updates.

That being said, it is a simple matter to uninstall any given update and the majority are not experiencing issues with it.

If you are experiencing unexpected issues immediately or very shortly after any update has been applied, then the first thing you should do is use the Windows 10 built-in capability to uninstall the latest update that’s suspected of causing the issue:

• Open Settings, Update & Security. This should take you to the Windows Update Pane by default.
  • In the Windows Update Pane, locate the View update history control, and activate it.
  • In the View Update History dialog, locate the Uninstall updates link and activate it.
  • In the Installed Updates dialog, the updates will be listed in groupings, with the groups alphabetically ordered, and the items within each group ordered by date – most recently installed first (if no one has changed the defaults). In most cases, you’ll be looking to uninstall a Microsoft Windows update, and those are generally the final group. The number of updates available for uninstalling is shown in parentheses after the Microsoft Windows group name.
  • Almost all Windows Updates will have a KB number associated with them, and if you know that use this as what you search on for the actual update. Select it.
  • Activate the Uninstall button located above the list of updates, and the selected update will be uninstalled.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

They're either issued as optional or not, and this one is one of the incredibly rare optional updates.

That being said, it is a simple matter to uninstall any given update and the majority are not experiencing issues with it.

If you are experiencing unexpected issues immediately or very shortly after any update has been applied, then the first thing you should do is use the Windows 10 built-in capability to uninstall the latest update that’s suspected of causing the issue:

• Open Settings, Update & Security. This should take you to the Windows Update Pane by default.
  • In the Windows Update Pane, locate the View update history control, and activate it.
  • In the View Update History dialog, locate the Uninstall updates link and activate it.
  • In the Installed Updates dialog, the updates will be listed in groupings, with the groups alphabetically ordered, and the items within each group ordered by date – most recently installed first (if no one has changed the defaults). In most cases, you’ll be looking to uninstall a Microsoft Windows update, and those are generally the final group. The number of updates available for uninstalling is shown in parentheses after the Microsoft Windows group name.
  • Almost all Windows Updates will have a KB number associated with them, and if you know that use this as what you search on for the actual update. Select it.
  • Activate the Uninstall button located above the list of updates, and the selected update will be uninstalled.
Ok.Will check tomorrow.Both of you guys were help🙂

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

Update:Optional updates dont show in my Updates settings.I guess i will keep them paused until a new update comes

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
By the time you're at that stage you're at the point of no return anyway.

Restart the machine and see how things go. If you're having issues then follow the instructions I gave in Post #5 for uninstalling an update.

Not that caution isn't a good thing, but at this point you need to allow whatever pending updates that require a restart to be applied and then go from there. They're already "99% installed" and you can't roll 'em back unless they're 100% installed. You may not even have to. The problems with that update are not global, but are occurring on a small subset (relatively speaking) of hardware.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
By the time you're at that stage you're at the point of no return anyway.

Restart the machine and see how things go. If you're having issues then follow the instructions I gave in Post #5 for uninstalling an update.

Not that caution isn't a good thing, but at this point you need to allow whatever pending updates that require a restart to be applied and then go from there. They're already "99% installed" and you can't roll 'em back unless they're 100% installed. You may not even have to. The problems with that update are not global, but are occurring on a small subset (relatively speaking) of hardware.
Ok are these ones it.https://imgur.com/a/ZgFQ3KW
And Im pretty sure I actualy have had high cpu usage since I had ablut 98 yesterday while in a game.
BTW:I still need more updates to download right now.
View: https://imgur.com/a/5Lnsd9k

And as you can see the FIRST picture I sent,the updates were yesterday and today.One of them downloaded a program called Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The "problem optional update" has not been installed on your system. It is not in the list of installed updates nor pending updates.

I really don't know what you want me to tell you. You need to produce a lot more evidence of some sort of actual problem before anyone could help you, and so far nothing looks even in the slightest way out of the ordinary.

Solution

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019

Ok.So you recommend me to update it and then uninstall it right?
And I do that by uninstalling the one that I just installed?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I don't recommend you uninstall anything without conclusive evidence that it is the root of a problem.

None of the updates shown as applied or pending for your system have been identified as problematic by anyone. Just leave well enough alone!

Nonkii

Respectable
Jul 27, 2019
I don't recommend you uninstall anything without conclusive evidence that it is the root of a problem.

None of the updates shown as applied or pending for your system have been identified as problematic by anyone. Just leave well enough alone!
View: https://imgur.com/a/5Lnsd9k

Its forcing me to install so I have to install it and it shows its the "Problem Update"

And i am truly sorry if this is annoying but I just cant update then wait until they release a fix.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
No, it doesn't. I have given you the exact KB number for the problematic update, which is KB4512941.

This is nowhere to be seen in your screen shots.

I have nothing more to add, as you are really grossly overthinking this and have very little to worry about. If, and only if, your system were to show very obvious and unusual behavior subsequent to the application of any given update should you consider uninstalling it.

There is none of that here. And with this I'm done.