Available SSD's for Optiplex 755 DT (Desktop).

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Can anyone help me with the connection standards for upgrading my 10+ YO Optiplex 755 DT for SSD's. I mean it only says SATA, not I, II or III. I assume its SATA I. Please let me know about the interface cables and or slots and width of the SSD drive. 250GB +/- 50GB is what I want my SSD to be. Any help would be supremely appreciated. Thanks. mdforlifehon at gmail dot com

USAFRet

Titan

SATA I, II, III are forwards and backwards compatible.
Of course, it only runs at the speed of the slowest device in the chain.

A brand new SATA III SSD connected to a SATA I port will only run at SATA I speed.
Similarly, a SATA II SSD connected to a SATA III port will only produce SATA II speed.

SO connecting a 2.5" SATA drive to that system may not bring any real benefit.

Another consideration is the OS. AN older OS (XP perhaps), does not know how to talk to an SSD. Primarily the TRIM function.
The drive will work no problem, but the older OS's don't know how to keep it functioning properly.

Why are you looking for an SSD in this old system?

The manual for that says SATA1.0 and 2.0
http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-755_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf
Sata 3 drives work just fine on SATA2 and give a huge improvement in performance over HDD. Turn off Auto Defragmmentation in System Tools. SSDs don't like it.
Physically they're 2.5". The same size as laptop drives. You can get adapters to put them in the HDD holder, or the floppy bay if you prefer (both 3.5" size). Cables are the same as an HDD. Some drives include the adapter, some don't.

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for the help folks. I spent $150 total on 24" Monitor/TV, 8GB of RAM, Q9550 CPU and AMD Radeon 6450/7470 to upgrade and my Passmark numbers went up 10X literally. I have a 160GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive that I want to retire. It is really rather quick now and I want that low millisecond response time from an SSD to speed it up even more. It's super clean, quiet and reliable. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. And I know not to defrag an SSD. I'm rusty since '98 because I caught an opiate addiction. Got over 2 years in recovery, and I want to get my life back to a semblance of what it used to be before I went into the 17 year "coma" as I call it.

USAFRet

Titan

Then go for it.

I've run an SSD in my Dimension E520. The performance gain was very real. I did upgrade to WIN7 64 at the same time. This computer originally supported Pentium4 CPUs. If you can make room for the DVI connector on the 2nd slot space (metal trimming with nibbler required) a GTX 1050Ti Low Profile (non EUFI) would be a huge improvement. GPU prices are of course outrageous right now.

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Thanks for the info. I can't use a double width card and the 6450 is 1GB but causes a bottleneck in my Performance Index. Everything except the Aero and Video index are close to 7, but I'm strangled at 5.4 because of my inability to fit any double-width card, and having to be low profile and low power doesn't help. I'm just being cheap. I remember 30 years ago when they said buy what you need and be upgradable for a year. That's funny looking back. I also remember when they said they were approaching the limit of transistor junctions possible on a CPU and then they came up with multiple cores. I also rememeber when a 4MB Hard drive cost $3800 40 years ago. I'm just rambling now. I will dig some more and see if I have any cheap video options left. Thanks again for the help and information.

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018

mdforlifehon

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
I know William. Plenty of space, just all unusable. 2 1" electrolytics make it impossible for the 750 in any form. If there were an "L" shaped extender for the PCI slot that would rise about 1.75", then I could mount any PCIe board horizontally, regardless of width, but like they say, "Wish in one hand..." That's just the engineer in me seeing an answer, but I'll inherit my son's Alien when he gets bored with it in a year or so. I'm good for now. thanks for the info. Gonna reconnect my 3.5" floppy for posterity's sake and get a cheap SSD and I'm done. Next step is a laptop. Don't need one, but my son is an IT guy for the "Not Saying Anything" folks. He's says now that I'm back from the dead, I need to step into the 21st century. I inherit his stuff, which is usually still borderline state of the art. Anyway, thanks William and everyone else. God Bless.