Question Avast Prem Security worth it any more?

James Blonde

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2014
I've been a user of the Avast AV suite for a number of years. As much as anything now though, it's because the payment keeps getting taken automatically - sad I know. Its installed on 3 PCs and a laptop. I've got McAfee installed on my QNAP NAS - that seemed sensible (and not sure of any lower / no cost QNAP AV options? Used to use Clamwin on an old Windows Home Server box - that still a thing??).

However for the last few years, Avast (and I suspect all of the other premium AV products) have turned into what seems to be AdWare / Scareware, and certainly found Avast firewall causing me some problems accessing systems on my own network. I have MBAM installed as well (got it free through work) and wonder if between that and the current Windows (10 / 11) offering, whether Avast is worth the money and effort any more?

FWIW, I wouldn't say I'm a low risk user, but do tend to err on the side of caution.

Do you seriously want to install a product owned by Symantec (like Norton Utilities, AVG, Avira)? I mean a bootable rescue disc from any of those might be fine for the occasional manual offline scan, but the company is best known for 20 years of badly behaved processes that consume so much CPU that they noticeably slow down your computer.

Clamwin is still around and is about the only AV still updated for Win9x. But it's a manual scanner and not real-time protection (unless you add something like Clam Sentinel, which hasn't been updated since 2014)