[SOLVED] Average Ryzen 7 5800x boost frequency people are getting? Mine seems higher than expected.

Nov 21, 2020
Hello, this thread is simply me asking others what their Ryzen 7 5800x boost frequency is. I finally made the switch from being a lifelong intel fan to amd after the 5000 series results went live. I've also heard you can all core these chips to around 4.8hz stable which I've tried and pulled off, but was uncomfortable with the 40c idle temp.

So I'm simply curious about what stable frequency others are getting with their chip? I've heard the precision boost overdrive technology is amazing, but I'm simply using the Ryzen Master tuning utility and the auto overclocking feature. Are these numbers, over 5ghz common with auto overclock? This chip is absolutley decimating my old i7 8700k oc'd to 4.9ghz. I haven't heard of people running a stable oc with multiple cores of over 5ghz yet on this chip, but then again I'm new to AMD.

Idle temps are roughly 32-33c which is toastier than I'm used to, but I heard normal as well.

Specs:

Corsair 570x crystal case with 1 rear exhaust 120mm, 2 top mounted 120mm, and a corsair 150i elite 3fan cpu cooler

Corsair vengeance 32gb cl16 (16gb x 2) Ram XMP enabled 3,200 Mhz

EVGA 850 g3 psu

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 mobo rev 1.2 latest bios

Evga gaming sc2 gtx 1080ti gpu

Samsung 980 pro 2tb, samsung 970 pro 1tb, and seagate firecuda 2tb hdd

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/dlDrxgk

Solution
Hello, this thread is simply me asking others what their Ryzen 7 5800x boost frequency is. I finally made the switch from being a lifelong intel fan to amd after the 5000 series results went live. I've also heard you can all core these chips to around 4.8hz stable which I've tried and pulled off, but was uncomfortable with the 40c idle temp.

So I'm simply curious about what stable frequency others are getting with their chip? I've heard the precision boost overdrive technology is amazing, but I'm simply using the Ryzen Master tuning utility and the auto overclocking feature. Are these numbers, over 5ghz common with auto overclock? This chip is absolutley decimating my old i7 8700k oc'd to 4.9ghz. I haven't heard of people running...

So I'm simply curious about what stable frequency others are getting with their chip? I've heard the precision boost overdrive technology is amazing, but I'm simply using the Ryzen Master tuning utility and the auto overclocking feature. Are these numbers, over 5ghz common with auto overclock? This chip is absolutley decimating my old i7 8700k oc'd to 4.9ghz. I haven't heard of people running a stable oc with multiple cores of over 5ghz yet on this chip, but then again I'm new to AMD.

Idle temps are roughly 32-33c which is toastier than I'm used to, but I heard normal as well.

Specs:

Corsair 570x crystal case with 1 rear exhaust 120mm, 2 top mounted 120mm, and a corsair 150i elite 3fan cpu cooler

Corsair vengeance 32gb cl16 (16gb x 2) Ram XMP enabled 3,200 Mhz

EVGA 850 g3 psu

Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 mobo rev 1.2 latest bios

Evga gaming sc2 gtx 1080ti gpu

Samsung 980 pro 2tb, samsung 970 pro 1tb, and seagate firecuda 2tb hdd

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/dlDrxgk
Ryzen really responds to better cooling and both the CPU cooler as well as case cooling can make the difference. So if you're getting better clocks than expected your cooling setup could easily be the reason.

But looking at clocks alone can be misleading as it's very dynamic. Probably the best way to assess actual performance is use a reliable and repeatable bench mark. CineBench23 is really good because it will run for a long time (around 10 min's in default setup) before returning a result. That heats up the system considerably to see how good cooling is.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
Your boosts are actually typical of Ryzen 5000 with good cooling. I have the Asus Dark Hero motherboard so I'm able to set both a static overclock for all core and still run standard PBO for single core boosts. I further tweaked my single core boosting (PBO overclock curve) on the two best cores of CCD0 and both of them will hit over 5Ghz. Cinebench R20 shows single core scores of 640 - 650 and multi-core scores of 9200 - 9250. I have an all core overclock of 4.65Ghz across all 12 cores with a dynamic switch at 45amps. Any draw under 45amps and my PBO boost the single core to over 5Ghz on my best cores (5.024 on core 0 and 5.125 on core 2 are typical spikes, but under load I typically see 4.925 on core 0 and 5.025 on core 2).

With standard PBO overclocking using a negative Vcore offset is your best friend. With a negative offset you can typically get better single and multi-core PBO boosting under load. Depending on your motherboard bios you may be able to further tweak the settings in bios with a curve optimizer and set a further negative offset on your two best cores which will boost single core performance. I typically don't do any overclocking in Windows, I set everything in bios and then use Ryzen Master to monitor the results.