AVG Asks Users to Delete User32.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Anti-Virus programs screw with you the same way viruses do. Thank god at least this one's free. Norton is by far one of the biggest scams, and everybody seems okay with that.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The funniest gaffe I recall from two years ago was a 1-2 bug punch.

I don't recall the vendor, but one of their updates did two things...

#1 - Flagged All Office Documents as Infected.
#2 - Instead of moving any infected documents to the quarentine folder, it just deleted them.

It was real nasty because it was a Corp Edition type that ran on File Servers.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I refuse to use anti virus just for this reason. Programs should not be allowed to delete file WITHOUT the users permission. McCaffee is guilty of this and we have it installed on every machine on campus( i work at a college). People often compain about losing files all the time.

Watch what you DL and run a spyware/viurs checker once a week. No performance hits and my files stay where i like them.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
It would be nice if protection at the network level were cheaper. I refuse to load my high-performance machine with tons of monitoring software.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Oh, by the way, my grandmother, who lives in eastern Europe, has AVG on her computer and probably won't know how to deal with the recovery console if AVG screwed her computer up. Thanks AVG.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]customisbetter[/nom]I refuse to use anti virus just for this reason. Programs should not be allowed to delete file WITHOUT the users permission. McCaffee is guilty of this and we have it installed on every machine on campus( i work at a college). People often compain about losing files all the time.Watch what you DL and run a spyware/viurs checker once a week. No performance hits and my files stay where i like them.[/citation]
Yeah, because viruses can't hide in cookies or Internet cache.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]customisbetter[/nom]...Watch what you DL and run a spyware/viurs checker once a week...[/citation]

Yeah, visit only legit sites! No w@rez! No pr0n!

...wait...

Riiiight... anyone heard of SQL injection? XSS? hacked websites? There are no longer "safe" websites (well, not exactly, but you get the drift).

...but...

I run as non-admin, so no worries! My system won't get infected!

...wait...

Riiight... your system might not get compromised, but your files are still accessible! delete them? infect them? "steal"/copy them? No problem! They are within reach of the malware (compromised or drive-by program).

There goes the outdated "my-security-steps/procedures-so-im-immune-to-infection/compromise", out thru the window.

Obviously, there are still so much more you can do to mitigate being compromised (as much as I want to give some, my advise-mode seems to be down down today).

G

The solution to all these problems.. education.. you wanna use a computer.. learn how to use it.. and i'm not talking about learn what a double click is and "this is a white box.. you type here..".. This is just like a car, sure you know how to turn it on, turn it off and take you wherever you want to go, but you'll get stranded in the middle of nowhere if you don't check your engine, oil levels, tire pressure, brake system.

Seriously, we need mega-licenses so people can operate computers. The reason we have licenses to drive cars (other than giving big brother the opportunity to watch (over) us.) is so you dont endanger yourself and others using the machine. So should be with computer usage.

Maybe required core classes at school and university level.

dariushro

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Yeah, because viruses can't hide in cookies or Internet cache.[/citation]

You must be kidding, right? cookies are just text files...

tolique

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]partz[/nom]Bitdefender is the best security software i ever had, I never encountered such a problem with it.[/citation]
partz is right about bitdefender. I have been using it for 3 years now and never had these problems with false-positive detections. On my wife's laptop I have the free edition although is just an on-demand scanner I just never had problems with viruses. The scan is scheduled daily and works great.
For my desktop computer I bought instead an internet security solution for further protection.

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
mcafee and norton is more difficult to erase than most viruses I ever encountered.

I usually need to remove either of them because they failed to protect the user, and is now broken... Sigh

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Cookies are not executable, by definition, they can't be a virus. Get the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of Norton. Wipe and reload if it's got McAfee.

G

McAfee, and the free version of Avast! Anti-virus work very well, McAfee protected my computer from the Sasser worm, while Avast! blocked every attempt of Trojans trying to get into my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.