[SOLVED] avoid program files and program files (x86)

Nov 23, 2018
is there a way to install program files in a different folder on a different drive then in the operating system files? My ssd space is limited and i don't want every junk program to take up ssd space

i'm using windows 10

Solution
If that one game and its mods are taking up 150GB currently, and you still want those on an SSD....then it sounds like you need another SSD.

You can't "move" programs. You can only uninstall them from the current location, and reinstall on a different drive.
If it does not allow being installed on a different drive...oh well.

USAFRet

Titan

You do that during the installation of whatever application you're installing.

You do NOT do whatever crap registry hack you find to force it to be elsewhere.

What size is your SSD?
What system is this in?

Also, read here:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Nov 23, 2018
as said before i'm in windows 10,and i've already redirected downloads as showed in the video, can i do that for other folders to? inside program files (x86)?
and some particular installers don't let you choose

USAFRet

Titan

What size is this SSD?

Yes, some things don't let you change the install location.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I would note that even if you are able to select a different drive for applications to be installed to, some programs require that files exist on the OS Drive. While you're saving some space, there is no way to completely keep your OS Drive application free.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Titan

A 240GB SSD is plenty for the OS and a whole lot of applications.
Once you move things like video and music, and then games, off that SSD...you should have NO worries about drive space.

What else do you have that is sucking up your drive space?

Nov 23, 2018
ark: survival evolved with dlc and a lot of mods (150gb) XD
could clean up some mods, but it will still take up quite a lot of space
there are nothing but programs and games on that ssd
i would really like to keep that on the ssd cuz the load times are significantly faster, and keep things like bluestacks (the particular program i want to move for now, but more are to come in the future if i can't choose where the files have to go when installing) on my hdd as i don't use them that often and idc about the load times)

USAFRet

Titan
If that one game and its mods are taking up 150GB currently, and you still want those on an SSD....then it sounds like you need another SSD.

You can't "move" programs. You can only uninstall them from the current location, and reinstall on a different drive.
If it does not allow being installed on a different drive...oh well.

Solution
Nov 23, 2018
I'm 15yo and all the money i earn the net year i need to pay my debths with, my 1300$ gaming pc was z big investement, i can't even afford buying a keyboard anymore so i use an old on me from 2005, a new ssd... Maybe in 2020. I'll delete some mods