Avoiding the headache of upgrading router

BGinFL

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
I just purchased a new Asus router to replace my nearly 10y/o D-link wireless router. Over the years I have accumulated all sorts of devices that are connected, Smart, Tv's DirecTV NVR, Printer, Home security IP camera, & NVR, Wireless bridge to connect non WIFI DVD, & DVR to internet, Ubiquiti extender into the backyard the list goes on... I have Comcast with 75/10 sevice and I think I have overloaded the old single band/channel router. When I do speed test on tablets or even my smart TV they are all over the place, streaming movies always fizzle out about half way into them but wired desktop is pretty steady. The thing is though they are all connected and while countless hours were spent doing so on some things with port fowarding IP conflicts, you name it I am trying to figure out how best to move to the new router the smoothest. I already know the new router will most likely be 192.168.1.1, while my current one is 192.168.0.1. I am overwhelmed with the thought of how to make this transaction smoothly as I just don't have the time like I used to to sit there for countless hours trying to get my printer to work or view my cameras while on the road.

I was hoping somebody on here has done the same or maybe there is a How TO video on this. Either way and suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Instead of making a mass transition to a new router, you might consider adding the Asus as an access point. You can keep both the DLink and Asus operating and distribute your wireless load across both, or migrate all of your devices to the new router over a period of time. You would be able to avoid dealing with port forwarding and IP conflicts, and enjoy the benefits of a greater wireless bandwidth provided by the Asus.

It's easy to configure the Asus as a wireless access point:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Port forwarding is fairly standard across different makes of routers. To make final transition easier, copy and paste port forward configuration to a document, and enter the info into the Asus. Set your devices with static IP addresses. Once you decide to eliminate the DLink, you can configure the Asus with the same LAN IP address and subnet.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

The wireless on the Asus will certainly outperform the DLink, and you'll be able to take full advantage of the advanced wifi features.

Migrating all at once is an option, but I'm not sure there is an easy solution that will cover all circumstances. If you decide on that route, you should plan on many hours of configuring to get everything transferred and operating properly. You can keep the same LAN IP address on the new router, set static IP addresses or reserve addresses in the new router, and ensure you keep the port forward settings at hand when configuring the Asus.

BGinFL

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
Thanks for the info. I read something that said to use the same SSID and use the same password on the new router along with security type to help ease the frustration of changing. I guess this would only work if you totally shut off the old router, or renamed it if you planned to turn it on again.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

That will likely work for automatically reconnecting most devices, but remember that the Asus will have 2 (possibly 3) SSIDs. Personally I prefer to completely forget the old wifi on each device and establish a new connection in order to get the proper security and encryption protocols.

BGinFL

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
You're right about that, I came across some reviews online that people are not able to connect their Amazon devices to the ASUS RT-AC3200 if it's set to the smart connect mode that combines all three channels into one. I see something that you have to turn that off and setup 2 different SSID's for the different channels/bands in order to connect. I have the Amazon Echo so I am already a bit worried.