Awesome RAGE, Prey 2 and Skyrim Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I agree with Azn RAGE just looks "OK". If it wasn't for the large landscapes I'd even say it looks pretty bad for a triple A title to be released at the end of 2011 by a major developer. The other games also just look "OK". Hopefully gameplay makes up for it, but they could as well take Battlefield 3's approach of having great gameplay AND graphics.

cewhidx

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]I hope Skyrim looks this good in gameplay Also hope it doesnt floor my 6950 lol[/citation]
Well my guess is that if the consoles can run it, then your card should breeze right through it.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]I hope Skyrim looks this good in gameplay Also hope it doesnt floor my 6950 lol[/citation]
[citation][nom]cewhidx[/nom]Well my guess is that if the consoles can run it, then your card should breeze right through it.[/citation]
I assume he/she means at max settings.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Agree wile I still have faint hope of something like Metro 2033 (runs on xbox and still amazing on PC :) ) These screen shots look great to me but we will see how the game looks during play. Would be easy to come up with a crazy looking still game play on the other hand.......

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]rage looks boring with the same gameplay[/citation]

Yeah, no game released for the consoles is going to hurt a 5870/6950 or better card. I doubt BF3 will even do it, but we will see if they really put the PC first on BF3.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I'll be honest, I am a huge Bethesda fan. Morrowind was perhaps the best RPG I ever played. Oblivion though seemed more for the masses. I look at the Skyrim screen shots, and I notice one important thing, THEY LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE OBLIVION ONES. Granted the textures may be *alittle* higher res (50-100% scale) but that can be done in about 30 seconds in photoshop (am I right Qarl?). So I hope that the graphics are infact just a rehash, and all the focus from the last 4 years is on gameplay.

Just a thought. If the textures are higher res, then won't that call for a better light model? Maybe the screens look the same, but ingame will be better (IF, god willing, the game is porteed TO the console, and not from. Though Bethesda usually fully develops on all platforms).

Disclaimer:

I'm not photoshop guy. I am a 3d modeler (in school still) so the 30 seconds is an estimation.

My oblivion is modded with Qarl TP3 and Natural environments (both are just swapping the mip maps from 1024 to 4048 using modded source files though), and I havn't run "vanilla" Oblivion in awhile.

G

Skyrim is graphically disappointing here. Development has been held back by consoles quite significantly. I don't even need to upgrade my 4870.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the trend seems to be... no graphic upgrades untill next console upgrades... if even then... Hey this mean that integrated gpu can run all games soon enough with full settings!
Well, maybe we have to buy 3 displays to make new GPU's to get floored...

phate

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I don't know why all the hatin on RAGE, I personally think it looks awesome. And judging from all these screenshots, the day of photorealistic gaming is not THAT far off in the future. Of course the first games 3d games I spent much time with were Wolfenstein and Blake Stone...

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Maybe its just me but I think people are getting way to jaded about graphics.

this shot here
http://www.tomshardware.com/gallery/The-Elder-Scrolls-5-Skyrim,0101-289492-0-2-3-1-jpg-.html

This looks much much better than anything I ever saw walking around in a town in Oblivian and I have just played the game with the patch that makes it looks better. So I really dont see how so many people are saying it looks the same as Oblivion? Now its possible that these stills will look better than the game itself but if thegame plays smooth and looks like this at all times wile have the same level of gameplay or better than Oblivion I dont see how anybody could be anything but happy with that.

One side thought... The more intensive the graphics the longer it takes to make the game and the higher the production costs. So we all complain from time to time about a new game not being as impressive as we would like but what would happen if they took twice as long to make the game there by having to pay all those game developers twice as much.

If they did that one of 2 things would happen or both. Games get shorter we already have seen this. I blew through crysis in 2 days and was not playing for 8 hours a day or anything like that. Or games will get more expensive. Console games are $60 PC cheaper a lot of the time. I would rather see game developers focus on the game play than giving me some stunningly impressive 4-5 hour game.

So they can spend tons of time creating game play and then make the game look nice for a good price. Or they can make the game looks crazy good but be short for a good price. Or they can do both but it will drive prices up and at this point I dont think the developers are willing to ask $70-80 for a game to pay for the amazing 40 hour plus graphically groundbreaking game

a_wal

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]I'll be honest, I am a huge Bethesda fan. Morrowind was perhaps the best RPG I ever played. Oblivion though seemed more for the masses. I look at the Skyrim screen shots, and I notice one important thing, THEY LOOK EXACTLY LIKE THE OBLIVION ONES. Granted the textures may be *alittle* higher res (50-100% scale) but that can be done in about 30 seconds in photoshop (am I right Qarl?). So I hope that the graphics are infact just a rehash, and all the focus from the last 4 years is on gameplay.Just a thought. If the textures are higher res, then won't that call for a better light model? Maybe the screens look the same, but ingame will be better (IF, god willing, the game is porteed TO the console, and not from. Though Bethesda usually fully develops on all platforms). Disclaimer:I'm not photoshop guy. I am a 3d modeler (in school still) so the 30 seconds is an estimation.My oblivion is modded with Qarl TP3 and Natural environments (both are just swapping the mip maps from 1024 to 4048 using modded source files though), and I havn't run "vanilla" Oblivion in awhile.[/citation]

Nope, this is a whole new game engine, the lighting, and particle effects, shaders, are all improved. But most for me the most important improvement looks to be character animation, it looks 20 times better than the plastic emotionless cookie cutter oblivion ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS