AX650 RMA - Acceptable equivalent PSU?

Ylaana

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've had to RMA my Corsair AX650 as it refuses to power on every now and again. The unit is 5 years old and there is no newer version of it - if they can't replace it like-for-like as per their warranty, what would be an acceptable (Corsair) equivalent in terms of build quality and performance? I believe the OEM of this one is Seasonic.

If a refund is issued, which 650W PSU should I get instead?

Thanks!

Solution
I'd think that a HXi or RMi would be close, considering the original price/performance of that AX. Granted it could be a move from Gold to Platinum, but that's immaterial to stock concerns. Corsair warranty would only replace by like components as far as performance and quality are concerned. But being Corsair, they have a tendency to err on the side of the consumer, so even a move upto an AX 760 wouldn't be beyond them.

Ylaana

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
The CX PSUs aren't fully modular, Bronze rated and in a much lower tier - I guess that leaves the RM series (RMx or RMi, any real difference there?) as the only viable Corsair replacement. How does OEM manufacturer CWT stack up against the likes of Seasonic and Super Flower? I'm after a high efficiency (Gold+) tier 1 fully modular 650W PSU, as close a match to my original one as possible. Like I said in my first post, I'll take suggestions for units from other brands as well.

Ylaana

Prominent
Jun 23, 2017
I'm sorry - I'm looking at the CX650M as on the Corsair website: http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cx-series-cx650m-650-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-eu. The 24 pin power cable is wired in, I need that one to be detachable too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd think that a HXi or RMi would be close, considering the original price/performance of that AX. Granted it could be a move from Gold to Platinum, but that's immaterial to stock concerns. Corsair warranty would only replace by like components as far as performance and quality are concerned. But being Corsair, they have a tendency to err on the side of the consumer, so even a move upto an AX 760 wouldn't be beyond them.

Solution