Review Azeron Cyborg Compact Review: Niche but Nice

Jul 10, 2022
I wonder if this has potential as an adaptive controller for people (like me) with partial loss of use of their left hand.

I have to map many keys to my MMO mouse buttons to play most games at a competent level, because I can’t extend the fingers of my left hand to quickly reach number keys and modifier keys.

If I could rest my fingers in the controller comfortably to always be engaged with the buttons without having to use my extensor muscles to hit buttons, that could be really helpful.

pelstob

Honorable
Sep 19, 2018
I wonder if this has potential as an adaptive controller for people (like me) with partial loss of use of their left hand.

I have to map many keys to my MMO mouse buttons to play most games at a competent level, because I can’t extend the fingers of my left hand to quickly reach number keys and modifier keys.

If I could rest my fingers in the controller comfortably to always be engaged with the buttons without having to use my extensor muscles to hit buttons, that could be really helpful.

It might work, the Cyborg has pull-keys under the fingers. Meaning there are at least 12 keys that can be pressed with very little finger movement.
Although another option may be to keep an eye on their site. They've a one-handed mouse and gamepad combo in development. If this'll let me post links:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeuA1Uu5Qug

Otherwise search for: #conceptCheddar

pelstob

Honorable
Sep 19, 2018
This looks like a customisable alternative to something like a Razer Orbweaver. Perhaps a comparison might be in order?

I've been using gamepads like this for over 20 years, including the Nostromo n50, Saitek Cyborg Command Unit, Logitech G13 and so on. I think the Azerons top all past and current offerings.
But then It depends on what you're looking for; from a pure usability standpoint I don't think you can beat the Azeron. Especially with its range of adjustability. But if you want something... more durable (if that's the right term) then the Orbweaver may be the best bet. I've had to replace a microswitch in my Azeron. But I can use a soldering iron and I had some spare microswitches to hand, so it took me about 10 minutes to fix. Also I like to fiddle, so another bonus for me is that it's designed with 3D printing in mind, which means it's rather easy to knock up mods. For instance I've created an anti-tip palm rest riser plate. I've also designed and printed new buttons in ePA-CF (which has a nice grippy texture and is somewhat moisture absorbant).

That's before you get to the native reWASD suppport. The Azeron software works, but reWASD takes it to a whole new level. With options for normal, double and triple clicking, long press, on-press, and on-release options meaning you can have a few different button presses on one button. For instance, in WoW I have short press activate action bar 1 abilities and long press (>50ms) activates action bar 2 abilities. And that's the basic level options, it also got the usual macro functions etc.