Question B350M-A memory trouble.

Jun 24, 2024
Hello, I have a small problem. To give a little background, I just upgraded my PC, and I had the brilliant idea of not changing my motherboard.

My motherboard is an Asus B350M-A, I changed my 1800x processor for a 5800X3D, my RTX 2070 for a Radeon 7900GRE. Put an M.2 Gen4 SSD which unfortunately runs in Gen 3 on this motherboard and finally 64gig DDR4 3200mhz Vulcan Z.

So basically, since I put the Ram, I have a constant lag in Windows, this lag is not present in the BIOS of course. When I only put 32 gig in the computer the lag is present for about 5 minutes in Windows and after that everything is fine, on the other hand when I put 64 gig, the lag never disappears. Everything is affected by lag, mouse, sound, image and my computer does not want to restart when I do a restart.

I tried without changing anything in the BIOS, activating XMP, changing the cas lentency as recommended by the memory manufacturer.

At this point, I am open to changing motherboards, I started looking at putting a B550M-A or a B550M PLUS, but before changing that I wanted to wait for your suggestions. My card is supposed to support 64 gigs of ram so I would like to try everything before handing over any money.

Thank you, I'm waiting to hear from you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First thing, I wouldn't have upgraded the processor on that motherboard, one which lacks a proper VRM cooling solution. Please pass on links to the ram used on your motherboard.

On second thoughts, please pass on the specs to your build like so;
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Since you performed an upgrade, we'll be seeing two sets of specs, one for before and one for after.

My card is supposed to support 64 gigs of ram so I would like to try everything before handing over any money.
Can you elaborate what you're referring to as card?

If you do decide to go with a B5509 chipset you should look into returning the rams and picking up a dual channel ram kit rated to run at DDR4-3600MHz with tight timings to get the most out of your upgrade/Ryzen 5000 processor.

What sort of a budget have you set aside for your motherboard purchase? Where are you located? What is your preferred site for purchase?

Hello, I have a small problem. To give a little background, I just upgraded my PC, and I had the brilliant idea of not changing my motherboard.

My motherboard is an Asus B350M-A, I changed my 1800x processor for a 5800X3D, my RTX 2070 for a Radeon 7900GRE. Put an M.2 Gen4 SSD which unfortunately runs in Gen 3 on this motherboard and finally 64gig DDR4 3200mhz Vulcan Z.

So basically, since I put the Ram, I have a constant lag in Windows, this lag is not present in the BIOS of course. When I only put 32 gig in the computer the lag is present for about 5 minutes in Windows and after that everything is fine, on the other hand when I put 64 gig, the lag never disappears. Everything is affected by lag, mouse, sound, image and my computer does not want to restart when I do a restart.

I tried without changing anything in the BIOS, activating XMP, changing the cas lentency as recommended by the memory manufacturer.

At this point, I am open to changing motherboards, I started looking at putting a B550M-A or a B550M PLUS, but before changing that I wanted to wait for your suggestions. My card is supposed to support 64 gigs of ram so I would like to try everything before handing over any money.

Thank you, I'm waiting to hear from you.

what is your power supply?

also if you go b550

go with the b550m plus do not put yourself threw the headache of b550m-a as it doesnt have bios flash. which you will need to flash the b550m plus anyway before you use the board.

set bios to default setttings
then flashed your current motherboards bios to a new bios if you havent that would explain the lag.

also set bios settings to default. previous data from the 1800x could be causing some conflicts.
e.g a setting that may not be obvious from previous cpu maybe turned on. by setting it to default it will turn everything down test and see if it still lags with everything at default and a bios update

Jun 24, 2024
what is your power supply?

also if you go b550

go with the b550m plus do not put yourself threw the headache of b550m-a as it doesnt have bios flash. which you will need to flash the b550m plus anyway before you use the board.

set bios to default setttings
then flashed your current motherboards bios to a new bios if you havent that would explain the lag.

also set bios settings to default. previous data from the 1800x could be causing some conflicts.
e.g a setting that may not be obvious from previous cpu maybe turned on. by setting it to default it will turn everything down test and see if it still lags with everything at default and a bios update
Sorry for the dealy, I try a last thing before you answer me... I just return to BIOS and reset with best value with compenant. Never see this option before, but now everything work properly without any issue. I'm very happy to don't spend more money in this computer. No more lag.

Thanks anyway