[SOLVED] b450 and 5950x

Jan 16, 2022
Would I realistically be able to run a 5950x with this board? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-Elite-V2-rev-1x#kf
I've got a 3600 currently and am trying to figure out where I go from here when I decide to upgrade. I know it says it's compatible with the right bios, I just want to make sure there wouldn't be any unforeseen issues with power delivery or anything like that. For what it's worth my I've seen my overclocked 3600 pull as much as 118w without issue.

Last edited:
Solution
I think it will handle a 5950 well enough so long as you're not planning on conventional, all-core fixed overclocking. That's not really a loss because Ryzen 5000 does much better when undervolting with curve optimizer.

Yes, that's probably a 4-phase VRM but even so it would still have the same current handling of an 8 phase VRM since each phase has doubled current paths with 2 lo-side, 2 hi-side FET's and 2 inductors in each phase. It can handle the power like an 8 phase but with the voltage stability of a 4 phase. What that means is it won't hold the low, very stable voltage needed for fixed all-core overclocking. But when set up right Ryzen is very tolerant of voltage instability, it even dithers voltage itself rapidly and over wide...
Hey there,

From what I can see, they wouldn't be a great mix. The core heavy CPU, will really push the VRM's. Although it advertised as 8 phase, it's actually 4 phases as I understand it for that mobo, so is not robust enough. A 5600xx or at most a 5800x with no OC'ing at all would be a better fit. Even with the lower CPU's you would still have to ensure some good airflow in your case to help cool the VRM's as they will run warm for sure. With the 5950x you could possibly expect some throttling.

I think it will handle a 5950 well enough so long as you're not planning on conventional, all-core fixed overclocking. That's not really a loss because Ryzen 5000 does much better when undervolting with curve optimizer.

Yes, that's probably a 4-phase VRM but even so it would still have the same current handling of an 8 phase VRM since each phase has doubled current paths with 2 lo-side, 2 hi-side FET's and 2 inductors in each phase. It can handle the power like an 8 phase but with the voltage stability of a 4 phase. What that means is it won't hold the low, very stable voltage needed for fixed all-core overclocking. But when set up right Ryzen is very tolerant of voltage instability, it even dithers voltage itself rapidly and over wide swings at heavy loads. So just set up your 5950X in the way it works best and it will be fine.

It's even got what looks like a decent heatsink on the FET's so it should run cool. I'd probably remove the plastic beauty shroud that inhibits good airflow across it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Jan 16, 2022

Yes, that's probably a 4-phase VRM but even so it would still have the same current handling of an 8 phase VRM since each phase has doubled current paths with 2 lo-side, 2 hi-side FET's and 2 inductors in each phase. It can handle the power like an 8 phase but with the voltage stability of a 4 phase. What that means is it won't hold the low, very stable voltage needed for fixed all-core overclocking. But when set up right Ryzen is very tolerant of voltage instability, it even dithers voltage itself rapidly and over wide swings at heavy loads. So just set up your 5950X in the way it works best and it will be fine.

It's even got what looks like a decent heatsink on the FET's so it should run cool. I'd probably remove the plastic beauty shroud that inhibits good airflow across it though.

Yeah I haven’t had much luck with all core overclocks on Ryzen. I’m running a CCX overclock on my 3600 currently. When it’s pulling 120w the highest I’ve seen any of the motherboard vrm temps is 61 degrees so I would like to think I have a little headroom

Yeah I haven’t had much luck with all core overclocks on Ryzen. I’m running a CCX overclock on my 3600 currently. When it’s pulling 120w the highest I’ve seen any of the motherboard vrm temps is 61 degrees so I would like to think I have a little headroom
If you like to tweak and experiment you'll probably find PBO2 with the curve optimizer a lot of...well...fun. In addition to some serious performance uplift while actually improving power consumption.

Jan 16, 2022
If you like to tweak and experiment you'll probably find PBO2 with the curve optimizer a lot of...well...fun. In addition to some serious performance uplift while actually improving power consumption.
Is that exclusive to Ryzen 5000? Mine’s currently running at 4.45ghz and I wasn’t able to get my single core as high with PBO last time I used it. Maybe I just didn’t play with it enough but if I remember right, just enabling PBO was pushing me above 1.4v which I wasn’t super comfortable with

Last edited:
Is that exclusive to Ryzen 5000? Mine’s currently running at 4.45ghz and I wasn’t able to get my single core as high with PBO last time I used it. Maybe I just didn’t play with it enough but if I remember right, just enabling PBO was pushing me above 1.4v which I wasn’t super comfortable with
Yes it is....PBO2 with CO was added with Zen 3. My 5800X hits 5.05Ghz on all cores with optimized CO.

I'm very comfortable even if it hits 1.5V during boosts as the CPU's makers have said repeatedly it's designed to do that. I'm not a semiconductor engineer and they are the ones with billions of dollars in warranty liability on the line so why should I doubt them.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022
Yes it is....PBO2 with CO was added with Zen 3. My 5800X hits 5.05Ghz on all cores with optimized CO.

I'm very comfortable even if it hits 1.5V during boosts as the CPU's makers have said repeatedly it's designed to do that. I'm not a semiconductor engineer and they are the ones with billions of dollars in warranty liability on the line so why should I doubt them.

Fair enough. I think the main reason I went with CCX, is that PB0 was topping out at 4.1ghz and when I just left the voltage on auto I was getting 90 plus degrees on the CPU. Sounds like this would be irrelevant though with PBO 2 and CO

Fair enough. I think the main reason I went with CCX, is that PB0 was topping out at 4.1ghz and when I just left the voltage on auto I was getting 90 plus degrees on the CPU. Sounds like this would be irrelevant though with PBO 2 and CO
Hey...there are lots of ways to fiddle the 'overclock' with Ryzen. Zen 3, with PBO2 and Curve Optimizer only add to them. I see no reason someone shouldn't "optimize" their CPU in the manner which best contributes to performance for the type of workloads they perform.

Just keep in mind that Zen 3...especially a dual-die 5950X...works way different from Zen 2. It should eagerly give you 5+Ghz if you treat it nice with curve optimizer and really good cooling.

Reactions: PCguy77
Jan 16, 2022
Hey...there are lots of ways to fiddle the 'overclock' with Ryzen. Zen 3, with PBO2 and Curve Optimizer only add to them. I see no reason someone shouldn't "optimize" their CPU in the manner which best contributes to performance for the type of workloads they perform.

Just keep in mind that Zen 3...especially a dual-die 5950X...works way different from Zen 2. It should eagerly give you 5+Ghz if you treat it nice with curve optimizer and really good cooling.
I like using CCX because it's the essentially same effect as an all core overclock but considering my 3600 draws close to twice the tdp of 65w, I'm guessing that wouldn't be the best with this board.

I like using CCX because it's the essentially same effect as an all core overclock but considering my 3600 draws close to twice the tdp of 65w, I'm guessing that wouldn't be the best with this board.
I don't think the board will mind it much actually, it's quite capable of delivering in excess of 300 watts. I'm not sure it's the best way to run a 5950X though.

And don't confuse TDP with power draw as they are totally different.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022
I don't think the board will mind it much actually, it's quite capable of delivering in excess of 300 watts. I'm not sure it's the best way to run a 5950X though.

And don't confuse TDP with power draw as they are totally different.
Yeah I was thinking about it some more and even a 5950x at stock speeds should be more than enough so if and when I decide to go that route I guess I’ll just have to play with it until I get a good combo of power/performance and heat. If I can CCX I will but should be sufficient either way

TRENDING THREADS