Question B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85) only booting to BIOS with Ryzen 7 5700x (BIOS is up to date)

Scourched

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Good evening, everyone. I am a bit stumped on this...
Current specs:
- EVGA 750w Gold+ PSU
- B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (MS-7B85)
- Ryzen 7 2700x
- ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 Dual
- 32gbs DDR4 3000 RAM

I wanted to upgrade my Ryzen 7 2700x to the 5700x. I updated my BIOS to 7B85v1G first, when the 5700x arrived I installed it and noticed one immediate thing - the sound of my fans. They spun up loudly and fast, maintained for a few seconds then went quite. Went fast again, back to quite. It did this maybe 4 or 5 times and then I was launched into the BIOS. Made sure my boot order and everything looked good, saved settings and rebooted. Fans went through their series of fast and slow again, and also again, booting only to BIOS.

I put the 2700x back in and the PC booted right to windows and quietly, as it normally does. The fans didn't go through the same process as they did with the 5700x. I try and do some troubleshooting and information gathering but everything I read says that this motherboard should be able to handle the 5700x fine. Perhaps it's a lemon. I get the 5700x replaced with another one.

I installed the second 5700x, boot up and like before the fans get loud, quite, then loud again and also like before, only booting to BIOS. So, I can't say it's the CPU. One lemon is rare enough, but two? I don't think that's it. So there has to be some kind of incompatibility or settings somewhere that is making the PC with the 5700x not boot past BIOS. I would love any ideas or feedback because I don't really know where to go from here. Thanks!

I noticed on your boards site that the BIOS version you updated to sets the secure boot as default, Im not sure if this has anything to do with it? Are you running legacy or uefi BIOS mode? Is your drive partition mbr or gpt?

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
You are correct on the secure boot by default.

When I put the 5600x on my son's it also would only boot to bios.
I tried several things but no go.
I had totally forgot about a page I had found on Msi forum about this issue and gave it a try.
It took me a bit to find the secure boot and csm and swapped the settings like 3-4 times and then it booted.

Here's the msi forum page.

Reactions: kurdtnz

Scourched

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
I noticed on your boards site that the BIOS version you updated to sets the secure boot as default, Im not sure if this has anything to do with it? Are you running legacy or uefi BIOS mode? Is your drive partition mbr or gpt?
So good news! I did get it working. I cleared the CMOS by pulling the battery and with 1 stick of RAM. On boot I got the BIOS and it was in UEFI mode, I turned secure boot off, saved changes and restarted, it booted back into BIOS. Changed the setting from UEFI to CSM, saved and restarted then I booted into Windows. So far, things seem to be working correctly with one caveat...

My network driver is throwing an error. "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)". Fortunately the wireless network driver is working and I can be online that way. I do have link lights in the back of the PC. I removed the driver and restarted hoping that would take care of it, it did not. I then downloaded the latest driver pack for my motherboard and restarted, no luck either. So one bigger problem solved to now have a new, different one lol. Any ideas?