Question b450-i gaming, 3600X, bent/broken pins, memory issues, no refund forthcoming, lifehack on the broken CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 3, 2019
I have been a Ryzen enthusiast since the first generation of this processor and I use an Asus B450-I Gaming motherboard. I ordered a 3600X from Newegg. When it arrived, I wasn't anticipating it to come with the Wraith Spire cooler WITH THERMAL PASTE ALREADY APPLIED. Inadvertently my new CPU adhered to the thermal paste that was applied on the complimentary CPU cooler. I was shocked at how much force it seemed to take in order to free it, it was as if it were magnetized. The moment that the CPU broke loose from the cooler, the CPU came flying out of my hand and landed on the ground. I'm not sure if this is the moment that the CPU was damaged, but that's very likely.

Also, on the Asus B450-I Strix motherboard, I'm absolutely appalled at the visibility of the triangular indicator on the socket to ensure you put the CPU in correctly. I may have struggled to find that triangle on the socket and there is also a chance that damaged may have resulted from that. Also I was under the impression that I already had the latest BIOS that would recognize the Zen 2 chip. But that did not happen. So there was as struggle there also.

First I attempted to straighten the pins with magnification, razor blades, the needle of a syringe, toothpicks, pins, everything. I felt it was the best it was going to get and I didn't notice any broken pins at this point. Bear in mind my magnification was not the greatest. I put the Zen 2 chip in the socket and it wouldn't boot. It was at this point that I realized I had to update my BIOS yet again with my Zen+ chip installed. So I went ahead and did that.

Somehow I came to the realization that it would only boot with one memory stick installed, not two. This sucks because I have a nice pair of memory. I've tried both sticks and they both function just fine in that 1st slot, but if you use the 2nd slot it won't boot.

I took another look at the CPU and I believe that there may be some bent/broken pins that haven't been fixed. I'm not sure if this is what is causing my memory issues or if it is a problem with my motherboard's compatibility with Zen 2.

I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point. I contacted Newegg and they refused to offer any type replacement or refund. They suggested I contact AMD. I haven't contacted AMD because I'm not sure what to say.

I watched a YouTube video and am under the impression I may be able to use the pins from an old AM2 processor. I ordered one off eBay for $5 and am awaiting it's revival. It invovled heating the CPU until the pins fall out, and then inserting the pins into the socket in the correct spot before installing the CPU. I don't really care much for the longevity of the motherboard, it already has issues with a couple dead SATA ports and I plan on upgrading to PCIe 4.0 at some point.

So here are my questions:

Are my memory issues from compatibility issues or from CPU damage?

Should I contact AMD or Asus before attempting to perform a maneuver to fix the socket and CPU, even if one or both can never be removed and function again?

What should I say so they help me?

If they won't help me, Is my understanding that AM2 pins and AM4 pins are the same size accurate?

Does the maneuver with the AM2 pins have any chance of working at all?

Can anybody recommend a cheap yet highly effective magnification device that would give me an edge on getting the best look at the pins?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019
Are my memory issues from compatibility issues or from CPU damage?
Could be boht
Should I contact AMD or Asus before attempting to perform a maneuver to fix the socket and CPU, even if one or both can never be removed and function again?
YES
What should I say so they help me?
The cpu had problems from the start
If they won't help me, Is my understanding that AM2 pins and AM4 pins are the same size accurate?
Use am4 pins tbh. If you are already doing this then at least pick the ones that are sure to work
Can anybody recommend a cheap yet highly effective magnification device that would give me an edge on getting the best look at the pins?
Why do you ne

Aug 25, 2019
yes you should contact AMD first before your attempts
since they will annihilate all the chances of getting a replacement.

in my case when the ryzen 3600 arrived , it had a small layer between the applied thermal paste (which was sticky) & the cooler , i had to remove it first in order to install the cooler.
it seems in your case that layer was missing

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I watched a YouTube video and am under the impression I may be able to use the pins from an old AM2 processor. I ordered one off eBay for $5 and am awaiting it's revival. It invovled heating the CPU until the pins fall out, and then inserting the pins into the socket in the correct spot before installing the CPU. I don't really care much for the longevity of the motherboard, it already has issues with a couple dead SATA ports and I plan on upgrading to PCIe 4.0 at some point.

This is possibly one of the most insane ideas I have ever heard on here.

First off if no pins are missing then they aren't broken, they just need to be straight. If they ARE missing new pins need to be soldiered, and it needs to be done VERY precisely. Heating the CPU until the pins fall out is crazy. It would have to get SUPER hot to do that, and you'd damage it doing that.

I would suggest contacting AMD maybe they can repair or replace the busted pins for you.

That said if the pins aren't missing and are straight it sure sounds like your motherboard is the failure point here. And likely why you have a bad memory channel, if you already have other problems.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am going to be honest...I didn't read your entire post...just the title and on to the part where you said that as you were trying to pry the CPU loose from the cooler that it came out of your hand, and to the ground.

With that said...

First thing I would do would be to contact AMD BEFORE doing anything further. State your case with full expectation that they will also refuse. You know why they refused?
Put simply, this is your fault. I don't say it to be mean, but no retailer is going to refund you something that you inadvertently dropped on the ground.

So, with that said, you could try with the expectation of no. With a quick glace through I would say that at this point you likely have other components that are still good. A CPU with missing pins can be missing PCI-e control lanes, memory controllers, etc. At this point your mistake cost you the CPU and likely could end there.
IF you attempt some hack job and short things out you could quickly add to the list of damaged items and be out near or all of everything.

Call AMD with low expectations and prepare to buy a new CPU.

USAFRet

Titan
"I watched a YouTube video and am under the impression I may be able to use the pins from an old AM2 processor. I ordered one off eBay for $5 and am awaiting it's revival. It invovled heating the CPU until the pins fall out, and then inserting the pins into the socket in the correct spot before installing the CPU. I don't really care much for the longevity of the motherboard, it already has issues with a couple dead SATA ports and I plan on upgrading to PCIe 4.0 at some point. "

You know that absolutely no chance of actually working, right?

0%.

Reactions: chickenballs
Sep 3, 2019
in my case when the ryzen 3600 arrived , it had a small layer between the applied thermal paste (which was sticky) & the cooler , i had to remove it first in order to install the cooler.
it seems in your case that layer was missing

i'm impressed with your response. but just to clarify, do you mean like a plastic protector on top of the thermal paste so that it won't stick to stuff? am i understanding you correct?

Sep 3, 2019
"I watched a YouTube video and am under the impression I may be able to use the pins from an old AM2 processor. I ordered one off eBay for $5 and am awaiting it's revival. It invovled heating the CPU until the pins fall out, and then inserting the pins into the socket in the correct spot before installing the CPU. I don't really care much for the longevity of the motherboard, it already has issues with a couple dead SATA ports and I plan on upgrading to PCIe 4.0 at some point. "

You know that absolutely no chance of actually working, right?

0%.

Well I'll admit that you might be 100% correct but you didn't really say why it's a guaranteed fail so unless you explain that to me, I remain undeterred.

Sep 3, 2019
I am going to be honest...I didn't read your entire post...just the title and on to the part where you said that as you were trying to pry the CPU loose from the cooler that it came out of your hand, and to the ground.

With that said...

First thing I would do would be to contact AMD BEFORE doing anything further. State your case with full expectation that they will also refuse. You know why they refused?
Put simply, this is your fault. I don't say it to be mean, but no retailer is going to refund you something that you inadvertently dropped on the ground.

So, with that said, you could try with the expectation of no. With a quick glace through I would say that at this point you likely have other components that are still good. A CPU with missing pins can be missing PCI-e control lanes, memory controllers, etc. At this point your mistake cost you the CPU and likely could end there.
IF you attempt some hack job and short things out you could quickly add to the list of damaged items and be out near or all of everything.

Call AMD with low expectations and prepare to buy a new CPU.

I apopreciate your response, I do believe you are trying to be helpful. What you are suggesting is the safe route. But I"m more interested in the possibilities. Also as far as responsibility, I'll admit that if I treated the CPU like it was a VX nerve gas or something this might not have happened. However AMD put sticky, wait, I mean super sticky thermal paste on their cooler to save 10 cents on a little plastic tube and they robbed every new PC builder of the experience of learning how to use thermal paste and Asus saved 3 cents by not making the triangle on the socket high vis. I know Asus will never get another purchase from me ever again. I'm going back to Asrock (I don't recall if Asrock had a better triangle or not, I just knew I ran into fewer issues). With AMD it's more dicey because there are fewer choices. And same can be said of Newegg. Never again.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Well I'll admit that you might be 100% correct but you didn't really say why it's a guaranteed fail so unless you explain that to me, I remain undeterred.

"heating the CPU until the pins fall out "

That gets the CPU way too hot in that localized position.
Those are originally 'soldered' on with a carefully calibrated, very brief shot of heat, in the exact location, via robot.
Attempting this by hand will cook the CPU.

"inserting the pins into the socket in the correct spot before installing the CPU "
And this ensure actually connection how, exactly?

Advice like this via utube is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Sep 3, 2019
t off if no pins are missing then they aren't broken, they just need to be straight. If they ARE missing new pins need to be soldiered, and it needs to be done VERY precisely. Heating the CPU until the pins fall out is crazy. It would have to get SUPER hot to do that, and you'd damage it doing that.

I would suggest contacting AMD maybe they can repair or replace the busted pins for you.

That said if the pins aren't missing and are straight it sure sounds like your motherboard is the failure point here. And likely why you have a bad memory channel, if you already have other problems.

I think you are missing part of what I meant. I won't be heating the Zen 2, or at least don't plan on it. The heat is going to be applied to a $5 Athlon AM2 processor until that processors pins fall out. At that point these salvaged pins are going to be inserted directly into the socket. It's going to be an intensive process, I could be trimming pins before putting them in the socket mostly. I don't know much about soldering, but I suppose there is also a possibility I would heat up the Zen 2, but only with a tiny spec of solder, like the smallest amount you could even use. I'll have to look into that.

I like your idea about seeing if AMD can do repair.

At this point, I'm just glad the computer is running. I'm on it as we speak. I don't trust my eyes anymore and am seeking out the best option to have the perfect level of magnification for this sort of job. Maybe the pins are fine, but I think some are screwed up to be honest.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I think you are missing part of what I meant. I won't be heating the Zen 2, or at least don't plan on it. The heat is going to be applied to a $5 Athlon AM2 processor until that processors pins fall out. At that point these salvaged pins are going to be inserted directly into the socket. It's going to be an intensive process, I could be trimming pins before putting them in the socket mostly. I don't know much about soldering, but I suppose there is also a possibility I would heat up the Zen 2, but only with a tiny spec of solder, like the smallest amount you could even use. I'll have to look into that.

I like your idea about seeing if AMD can do repair.

At this point, I'm just glad the computer is running. I'm on it as we speak. I don't trust my eyes anymore and am seeking out the best option to have the perfect level of magnification for this sort of job. Maybe the pins are fine, but I think some are screwed up to be honest.

As long as they are not broken off they will work. Just need to be bent back into shape.

As for soldiering that intently, if you're having a problem seeing, you're never ever soldiering that. Also any home soldering iron is not precise enough to do a job like that.

The entire story is tragic...

contacting either CPU or motherboard manufacturer in this instance is a waste of time, however...; neither manufacturer is going to 'step up' and take any blame/responsibility in this scenario. If the motherboard socket appears undamaged, your loss is the CPU's value...)

(you can find a map of used pins/functions, however... certainly, a pin taking out a memory channel would be VERY possible, even likely, easily giving what would appear to be RAM slot issues on mainboard)

If a pin is broken off, inserting the pin (or another salvaged pin) into the motherboard socket in its place is something that could potentially work. The pin just needs to make contact with the pad on the processor where one had previously been soldered. I wouldn't try actually soldering the pin to the processor though, since as has been said, that's not likely to be doable with home soldering equipment.

Of course, you will want to make sure a pin is actually missing first, since you don't seem entirely sure of that, and only insert a salvaged pin into the exact hole of the motherboard where one is missing, since you don't want to mess up additional pins. And of course, if you ever replace the processor in the future, make sure to remove those pins from the socket first.

If you want to see the pins better, maybe try shining a bright flashlight on them. And if you have a camera (possibly on a cell phone) with a macro mode that can take pictures from a few inches away without getting blurry, you could use that and zoom in on the image to get a better look at them. If you can get a good photo of the pins, you could also post it here so that we can have a look at them. You might also want to look at the socket up close and verify that no broken pins are already in the holes there.

As for contacting the manufacturer, you could, but I wouldn't expect much from it, since this seems like something that would fall under "user error" and not be covered by warranty.

I'm afraid you might have to suck this one up. Believe me I feel for you.

As @USAFRet said, twisting gently after heating, is the preferred method to remove a stuck CPU.

Another approach I've seen people use successfully with a stuck CPU is to unlatch the processor bar, and pull out the CPU with the cooler. THEN over a clean static safe surface, carefully use a razor blade to cut it loose. They typically hold CPU side up by the sides as they gently saw back and forth with the razor blade. They could care less if the cooler falls an inch or two. This will give you an opportunity to clean the surface a little better too as you can remove residue with 70% alcohol + Q-tip/toothpick, without worrying about the left over paste getting in areas it shouldn't on the motherboard. Just properly protect the pins.

As for contacting the manufacturer, you could, but I wouldn't expect much from it, since this seems like something that would fall under "user error" and not be covered by warranty.
I'm pretty confident AMD's policy is their warranty does not cover broken/bent pins which (unlike overclocking) is very easily determined by the test tech. That also explains why they won't ship out a warranty replacement processor until AFTER they've received and examined the return processor. So always package an RMA properly, so no pins are damaged during shipment, even if it's a known bad processor.

I'm afraid OP has a great life-lesson story to tell his grand kids someday.

Sep 3, 2019
How to remove the cooler from a CPU:
Run the system until it gets a bit warm.
Unlatch whatever latching mech is holding it down.
Gently twist the CPU cooler, until it releases.

You might think I'm an idiot, or you might just trying to speak as a matter of fact but I'm not sure if you understand me completely. I never hooked up the Wraith Spire to a computer in my entire life. I opened the 3600X box, examined the two parts. Perhaps I held them side by side, letting my imagination soar of the amazing moments that lay ahead, and then WHAM the two parts became glued together like there was a vice on it. I panicked because I have never in my life needed to exert this much force to separate a CPU from a cooler. I didn't think it was going to free up at all. My mind was racing thinking why is this happening? Why won't it come off? And then I wasn't prepared when suddenly it did in fact come off. But I was using so much force to do it that the CPU came flying out of my hand and across the room. This all happened within 60 seconds of opening the Ryzen box. I managed to install my 1600X and 2600X multiple times. Maybe at that moment I didn't twist enough. But that doesn't excuse AMD for putting this crap on the cooler. Either they did it for profit or they did it to drive down prices, but this robs people of the experience of putting on the thermal paste. If you want to build a whole <Mod Edit> computer yourself, is it a stretch to think you might like to put the thermal paste on? What if it is your 1st build? Don't you want to learn? So I get it. I didn't twist enough. That's fine. But it doesn't do anything for my problem. I came here for help and outlined my core questions rather succinctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2019
yes , i don't see why it would be different for the 3600x

well thank you very much for that, surely there was some sort of manufacturing misfunction or tampering that resulted in my product not being shipped with that protective layer. that's the only explanation. AMD will have to replace the processor if they have any integrity.

i don't know why you understood what i was saying, but multiple people on here keep talking as if i had the CPU installed with the wraith spire. that didn't happen. this was only moments after opening the package and examining the merchandise.

i use a coolermaster evo 212 or whatever its called.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019
I'm pretty confident AMD's policy is their warranty does not cover broken/bent pins which (unlike overclocking) is very easily determined by the test tech. That also explains why they won't ship out a warranty replacement processor until AFTER they've received and examined the return processor. So always package an RMA properly, so no pins are damaged during shipment, even if it's a known bad processor.

I'm afraid OP has a great life-lesson story to tell his grand kids someday.

You might be right I might be totally S.O.L. but what AMD did would be like Mossberg shipping loaded shotguns or a Gas pump with a cigarette machine attached to it. Do you keep your exquisite jewelry in the same box as an uncapped bottle of super glue? It would be like shipping fine artwork with loose nails so that the customer can put the art on the wall. well what happens when the nails go thru the canvas? the person who shipped it keeps the money? not in any court in the world.

Last edited:
You might be right I might be totally S.O.L. but what AMD did would be like Mossberg shipping loaded shotguns or a Gas pump with a cigarette machine attached to it. Do you keep your exquisite jewelry in the same drawer as the super glue?

umm...did you read the little manual that comes in the processor and heatsink box? In mine it's note 6 "The heatsink provided has pre-applied thermal interface material." Seems pretty clear to me.

And the bottom of my wraithe (prism in my case) had a plastic cover to protect the pre-applied paste. It wasn't a film, but a cover. I imagine yours should have too, if it didn't then your box was probably an 'open box' so you might have a beef with the place you bought it.

Last edited:

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I have been a Ryzen enthusiast since the first generation of this processor and I use an Asus B450-I Gaming motherboard. I ordered a 3600X from Newegg. When it arrived, I wasn't anticipating it to come with the Wraith Spire cooler WITH THERMAL PASTE ALREADY APPLIED.

AMD's stock coolers have come with thermal paste already applied for many years. I remember upgrading an single-core Athlon 64 to a dual-core Athlon back in 2004 (I think). The cooler came with thermal paste applied. Very convenient. Just don't take off the plastic cover on the cooler until right before you're ready to install it.

Also, on the Asus B450-I Strix motherboard, I'm absolutely appalled at the visibility of the triangular indicator on the socket to ensure you put the CPU in correctly. I may have struggled to find that triangle on the socket and there is also a chance that damaged may have resulted from that.

I just built a system with Ryzen 3600 and an MSI X570 Gaming Plus. I was also surprised at how much difficulty I had seeing the triangles on both the processor and the socket. At least the CPU triangle is yellow, but it's still tiny. I thought maybe it was because I'm probably older than most people who build computers, and my close-up vision isn't as good as when I built my first computers in my 30s. But the triangles really are small. I had to take off my glasses and put my head right above the socket while installing the CPU.

The AM4 socket is probably the same commodity part regardless of which brand of motherboard you choose.

Reactions: SF0614R18
Status
Not open for further replies.