[SOLVED] B450 not working with my ryzen 5000 CPU

Jan 31, 2021
So I recently got a ryzen 5600x and when updating my B450 Tomahawk Mobo (non Max) I got it to install the beta bios and its showing that I am running the correct bios, but whenever I try to boot with the 5600x I don't get a post, I initially got to the bios but after the reboot I haven't been able to get back to the bios or even get anything to appear on my monitor. Whenever I look at my motherboard's quick issue LED's I see that it is the CPU so I have no clue whats wrong.

Specs:
R5 2600
B450 Tomahawk
4 8GB Corsair 3000mhz
Gtx 1660TI
550W bronze

Last edited:
Solution
Also I checked and saw secure boot was off and still is but I can’t change my boot mode from UEFI.
That's a Tomahawk so it works exactly like my Mortar...

In BIOS, ADVANCED, change to Windows Enhanced Mode. That will find the UEFI partition (if it has one) and boot from it. Otherwise you're in Legacy mode and that may be required until you change the drive to GPT from MBR.

BTW, you may need to re-install Windows. You've made a major change to hardware and sometimes Windows just won't function correctly without a clean install so get prepared if you can. Reinstall the 2600 if you have to, but make a backup of all files to do a clean re-install:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
So I recently got a ryzen 5600x and when updating my B450 Tomahawk Mobo (non Max) I got it to install the beta bios and its showing that I am running the correct bios, but whenever I try to boot with the 5600x I don't get a post, I initially got to the bios but after the reboot I haven't been able to get back to the bios or even get anything to appear on my monitor. Whenever I look at my motherboard's quick issue LED's I see that it is the CPU so I have no clue whats wrong.

Specs:
R5 2600
B450 Tomahawk
4 8GB Corsair 3000mhz
Gtx 1660TI
550W bronze
Did you do a CMOS reset? Turn power off and disconnect it then remove the battery. Short the CMOS reset pins for several minutes then put it back together.

Does it work with your R5 2600?

Last edited:
When removing the CMOS battery, wait a little bit to make sure it resets the BIOS.
Power off PC, turn PSU switch to off and unplug power cord.
Press the power button for 15-20 seconds (discharge capacitors).
Remove the CMOS battery...wait 15 minutes and insert the battery back.
Try with only 2 RAM modules.
Plug power cord, turn PSU switch to on and power computer.
It could take a bit longer to boot, and it might power cycle a several times, since the motherboard BIOS might be trying to find the best configuration for the RAM modules and CPU.

By the way the B450 Tomahawk has a Flash BIOS button that allows to flash any BIOS by using a USB flash drive without installing a GPU, RAM or even a CPU.

Jan 31, 2021
So I was able to make it to the bios but now everytime I try to save settings and reboot it just heads straight back to bios, I see in the boot tab that it’s locked to UEFI only and I can’t manually select it to boot to my M.2 with windows

Jan 31, 2021
So I was able to make it to the bios but now everytime I try to save settings and reboot it just heads straight back to bios, I see in the boot tab that it’s locked to UEFI only and I can’t manually select it to boot to my M.2 with windows
Also I checked and saw secure boot was off and still is but I can’t change my boot mode from UEFI.

That's a Tomahawk so it works exactly like my Mortar...

In BIOS, ADVANCED, change to Windows Enhanced Mode. That will find the UEFI partition (if it has one) and boot from it. Otherwise you're in Legacy mode and that may be required until you change the drive to GPT from MBR.

BTW, you may need to re-install Windows. You've made a major change to hardware and sometimes Windows just won't function correctly without a clean install so get prepared if you can. Reinstall the 2600 if you have to, but make a backup of all files to do a clean re-install:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Solution

TRENDING THREADS