Question B450 ROG Strix E VS Gaming pro carbon

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Just a small question, which is better and why?
B450 Asus ROG Strix E VS B450 MSI Gaming pro carbon
-Both exist in my country within a very slight difference in price and it doesn't matter honestly, also bios updates are not an issue as I am buying these from a retailer and it won't cost me anything.

The build am using this for :
CPU : Ryzen 3700x
GPU : RX 5700 XT Gigabyte gaming OC
Ram : 32 x 16 trident z neo 3200 Mhz cl16
PSU : Bitfenix 750w MB 530p
SSD: SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe.2

• I will use this for only streaming / gaming and I never plan to OC at all.
  • Will never be using SLI, is x470 worth it at all?

(Tomahawk max also exists in my country but idc about the price again)

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Less than a week ago I built my daughter a brand spanking new system she got for Christmas from her uncle around the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard. It's an excellent board with one massive problem. It suffers from the well known and documented issue dealing with getting the mobo to recognize/use/transmit audio from a microphone. It has the AC 1220 audio codec which is very good in my uneducated opinion, but for some reason, and I heard it was due to the B450 chipset on these particular boards, but a mic absolutely refused to work. Period. End of story. Do not pass GO. A quick Google search will validate what I just said on top of my personal experience. The moment I installed a Sound Blaster Z, everything worked like a charm.

So if you are a gamer and plan to use a mic, either a stand alone or a headset and are willing to buy an add-in sound card, the MSI board has been great, seriously great right out the door with the 2700x, 16GB DDR4-3200 & M.2 all working perfectly. I don't think it's the AC1220 itself as my TaiChi X470 has it and it works flawless. I like MSI and love my new 32' 1440p monitor by them, but their mobo's have not impressed me simply because of the microphone issue.

The B450 Tomahawk Max on the other hand is awesome. Get that if you can. Even if you have to save up a bit!

Just my own opinion mind you.. oh & here's an earlier post about the ASUS board you might want to read.

ahmd3500

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
Less than a week ago I built my daughter a brand spanking new system she got for Christmas from her uncle around the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard. It's an excellent board with one massive problem. It suffers from the well known and documented issue dealing with getting the mobo to recognize/use/transmit audio from a microphone. It has the AC 1220 audio codec which is very good in my uneducated opinion, but for some reason, and I heard it was due to the B450 chipset on these particular boards, but a mic absolutely refused to work. Period. End of story. Do not pass GO. A quick Google search will validate what I just said on top of my personal experience. The moment I installed a Sound Blaster Z, everything worked like a charm.

So if you are a gamer and plan to use a mic, either a stand alone or a headset and are willing to buy an add-in sound card, the MSI board has been great, seriously great right out the door with the 2700x, 16GB DDR4-3200 & M.2 all working perfectly. I don't think it's the AC1220 itself as my TaiChi X470 has it and it works flawless. I like MSI and love my new 32' 1440p monitor by them, but their mobo's have not impressed me simply because of the microphone issue.

The B450 Tomahawk Max on the other hand is awesome. Get that if you can. Even if you have to save up a bit!

Just my own opinion mind you.. oh & here's an earlier post about the ASUS board you might want to read.
I've actually gone ahead and searched on this specific issue, and it seems that people have been speaking about it too, so I think it's actually happening weirdly enough, i've never heard about it though.
Will consider that though, ty a ton!