Question B450 Tomahawk Max RAM problem XPM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
Hey there, i have b450 max tomahawk mobo and corsair 2x8gb 3200 mhz of ram
i had a problem and had to flash last bios update and before that clear cmos.
before the problem i had my ram xmp at profile 2,
now after the new bios update i flashed none of the working at 3200 mhz.

what i have tried so far:
  1. tried profile 1
  2. tried both profiles and set manually 3200 mhz

nothings helped.

any recommendation?

I don't remember the old version of the bios.
Then a few choices: figure out the most likely BIOS and try it, then another and so on. That shouldn't be too hard if you work with dates and the approximate time period you would have updated to it. Or spend time getting the overclock parameters right. Or live with what it gives you as is: 3000 (for instance) is going to be essentially indistinguishable from 3200 except to a memory benchmark.

But the best choice by far requires spending money: get a 5600 CPU while they're still relatively cheap and put on it.

Last edited:

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
I JUST SOLVED IT!!

First I tried to downgrade but no luck at all.
Then I thought I already tried everything except taking out the CPU ..
After removing the heat sink the CPU was stuck at heat sink it could damaged a lot of pins but for my luck It didn't.
I downloaded a app magnifier on my phone and locket at the socket
And.....
It's damaged. I clean it with a toothbrush and clean again the CPU on the top and put less of the thermal paste. After that it worked!!!
3200 mhz!!!

Ven0m_

Honorable
Apr 20, 2017
EDIT:
I am an idiot cuz I thought I didn't screw the heat sink screws enough and got them harder screwd.
Then I noticed it's still at 2133 mhz and loaded very slow AGAIN.
My mind is smart after all and unscrewed the heat sink little less and not hard and it's still3200

THANK GOD...

Reactions: Kona45primo
Do you guys think that it start again with problems ? Cuz the socket is little damaged?

Check the screenshots

https://ibb.co/Jtr1DKy
It's hard to say but it does look like it's damaged. What's harder to say is if unreliable connection of that contact could be causing the problem. Not using correct pressure on the heatsink will just lead to CPU overheating, I'd have to imagine.

This is a situation where really good magnification is needed but gently working around the openings of those contacts with a very fine needle might improve things. Be careful you don't get bits down into the contact though.