[SOLVED] B450 Tomahawk Max vs. ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Jun 15, 2020
I am going to get a Ryzen 5 3600, and am planning to overclock it in the future. Currently, both Tomahawk Max and Strix-F are at the same price. This might be overkill, but the other motherboard that I was going with - Mortar Max - has been out of stock.
Tomahawk Max is great for 3600, but now that its prices have risen up to those of Strix-F, I am confused. ROG is a premium lineup, but its VRM temps are not as good as Tomahawk Max.
Tomahawk Max is arguably the best motherboard for 3600, but I still have to pay as much for a premium motherboard like Strix-F. Strix-F has a better BIOS, but does not provide as good VRM temps as Tomahawk Max does.
BIOS update for Strix-F is not a problem. I have 8GB*2 3200Mhz ram, and I will not need more than one PCIe 16x slots.
Which motherboard should I go for, if I want to upgrade to a 4700x OC somewhere down the line?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Solution
You really don't need a B550 board unless you are doing large transfers which can fully utilize pcie 4.0.

Tomahawk Max is one of the most popular B450s and you can't go wrong there.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If you want more future proof, why not just the B550? The B550 is actually a good upgrade and better in general quality. Check for the budget B550's some start at 115$.
ROG is a premium lineup, That is not really true with ASUS it's another gimmick to make more money it's like manufactures that add the word Gaming some people see that as it makes it better and will pay extra for it because after all it's made for gaming.

For your question I would agree with above and buy a B550 board but not the cheap low budget 100 buck boards. Do a little research on a few of them then decide no reason to spend 250 bucks on one but don't just get the cheapest crap made.

Jun 15, 2020
ROG is a premium lineup, That is not really true with ASUS it's another gimmick to make more money it's like manufactures that add the word Gaming some people see that as it makes it better and will pay extra for it because after all it's made for gaming.

For your question I would agree with above and buy a B550 board but not the cheap low budget 100 buck boards. Do a little research on a few of them then decide no reason to spend 250 bucks on one but don't just get the cheapest crap made.
Thanks! Gigabyte's B450 lineup was "garbage" and the X570 wasn't that great either. Are the B550 boards any good, or should I go with MSI?

TRENDING THREADS