Question B450 tomahawk NON max + ryzen 7 5700x3D not POSTing

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
Hello, good day

i got myself a R7 5700x3D to upgrade from my R7 3700x for my machine, and use it on my B450 tomahawk (non max ver.)

Before anything i updated my MB BIOS to the latest beta as it appeared on the CPU compatibility listed on the official product page, version is "7C02v1J5(Beta version)".

BIOS update went fine, version appears on the BIOS information i and thought, "im set lets change it"
the installation went smooth, no bent pins on new CPU changed, removed cooler, clean up, re-apply paste, etc.

Moment of truth comes by, i turn on the machine with the new CPU, lights turn on, none of the MB error LEDS stay on so i thought i was clear but then simply no POST, its all a black screen...

i waited for approx 10-15 minutes... nothing. still black, restarted and still nothing. all black, In the end i switched back to my 3700x
machine boots just fine with no hiccups, and so i come here to ask for guidance before i possibly take the wrong decision

Im just really hoping this is not the second DOA cpu i buy...

Machine specs are as follow:
CPU: R7 3700x -> upgrading to R7 5700x3D
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
MB: b450 tomahawk (non MAX)
RAM: Corsair vengeance LED 2x8 (16GB) 3200mhz
PSU: seasonic focus GX 850W
Storage: NVME Western digital blue SN580 1TB, SSD Crucial MX500, Seagate HDD 1TB

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
nooo.... not again.... could it be a chance that changing to another BIOS version may perhaps do the trick and maybe MSI did a slight silly accident when publishing the latest BIOS update

though, i dont think it would be a good idea to do that (is that even possible?)

triplex1

Upstanding
Jun 2, 2024
download and install the 7C02v1I with a different usb stick and 3700x , clear the bios as soon as you're done and re-download the latest beta it has the msi site again (not the one you had) and install it again.when it's finished clear again, then you change the processor, if you have the same results, the motherboard is to blame and not the processor

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
Ok, i will try changing BIOS versions with a different drive to see if maybe i can get lucky, to answer the previous question i did the BIOS update with the 3700x and using m-flash

if i end with the same result then i will try to RMA, while longer, its the cheapest option i have so i would rather try that.

Hey there,

Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, you need to do that. I would do it with the 3700x in it just to be sure.

You will need to short out two pins on the mobo, whilst the CMOS battery is removed. There are two pins marked 'JBAT_1', you need to short these, which you can do with a flathead screwdriver. Short for about 10 seconds. Once done, but the CMOS battery back in, then boot up and reconfigure the bios. Hopefully that gets you up and running.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
Hey there,

Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, you need to do that. I would do it with the 3700x in it just to be sure.

You will need to short out two pins on the mobo, whilst the CMOS battery is removed. There are two pins marked 'JBAT_1', you need to short these, which you can do with a flathead screwdriver. Short for about 10 seconds. Once done, but the CMOS battery back in, then boot up and reconfigure the bios. Hopefully that gets you up and running.
Oh my, i totally forgot that step, i will be doing that

Forget the QVL list, few kits are ever listed there anyhow and the list is never updated beyond the first couple of months after the board is released. What is the ACTUAL model of your memory kit, although, honestly I've not seen incompatible memory cause it to black screen. Generally it will just blue screen or default to JEDEC specs. Sometimes a continuous boot loop. But not usually just, nothing, so long as it is the right TYPE of memory, which it is if it works fine with the other CPU.

Where did you buy the CPU? New or used?

As for the BIOS reset, this is the procedure I like to use. It has worked well, even when other methods have not, for many years.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
Forget the QVL list, few kits are ever listed there anyhow and the list is never updated beyond the first couple of months after the board is released. What is the ACTUAL model of your memory kit, although, honestly I've not seen incompatible memory cause it to black screen. Generally it will just blue screen or default to JEDEC specs. Sometimes a continuous boot loop. But not usually just, nothing, so long as it is the right TYPE of memory, which it is if it works fine with the other CPU.

Where did you buy the CPU? New or used?

As for the BIOS reset, this is the procedure I like to use. It has worked well, even when other methods have not, for many years.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.
first of all, thanks for the guide, i appreciate your help

now for the questions, i bought it from amazon listed as brand new, the box was completely sealed when i got it, the model of the RAM is CMU16GX4M2C3200C16

As for the boot, i guess it could be worth sharing this when i bought the 3700x this one was DOA at first, but this CPU did manage to reach booting to windows just to last about 1-3 minutes before ending up in a black screen, in the end the problem with that CPU was a faulty core, this was shared by AMD when i RMA it, for this CPU though, its not even reaching any sort of screen at all its just all fans and GPU lights turn on, and im just met with a black screen

i have not tried to redo the BIOS update, so i will be doing that and see what happens

So, LordVile might actually have touched on a possible cause since you have Vengeance memory, and we know that a lot of Ryzen configurations don't like Vengeance kits, especially if they are the LPX Vengeance kits, but any of the Vengeance kits really. It would be strange though for it to work with a 3000 series and not with a 5000 series. Also would be strange, as I said before, to get black screen.

So, are you saying that with the 3700x it doesn't work either, or only works for a couple of minutes? Have you actually EVER had this system working completely normally with ANY CPU?

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
haha
So, LordVile might actually have touched on a possible cause since you have Vengeance memory, and we know that a lot of Ryzen configurations don't like Vengeance kits, especially if they are the LPX Vengeance kits, but any of the Vengeance kits really. It would be strange though for it to work with a 3000 series and not with a 5000 series. Also would be strange, as I said before, to get black screen.

So, are you saying that with the 3700x it doesn't work either, or only works for a couple of minutes? Have you actually EVER had this system working completely normally with ANY CPU?
haha no no, you got wrong there sorry maybe i wasnt clear there,
when i first bought the 3700x, it was a DOA CPU, then i went through the RMA process with AMD and it was in fact dead, i was sent a brand new replacement, that new 3700x sent by AMD worked on the first boot with that RAM kit, zero problems with it in all 3 years i have used it, no crashes, black screens, blue screens etc, etc [edit: typo]

Mega19

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2015
YES! YESS! it worked!

followed your bios reset steps plus did roland of gilead to short the JBAT_1 pins, and also changed the BIOS version to the latest stable and that did the trick!

Thanks a lot for your assistance everyone!