[SOLVED] B450 with 5800x3d

Solution
Im not really sure how to reset the cmos but i could look it up.
Look in your manual it explains the process. But one easy way is to remove the coin cell battery for 10 or 15 minutes.

The B450m-PRO Gaming would be a better board, with a stronger VRM. It's suitable even for 12 core or 16 core CPU's, if not overclocking.

The PLUS Gaming has a weaker VRM but at least it's got heatsinks on the VCore FET's. Since the 5800X3d can't be overclocked anyway it's not going to draw extreme power levels so I'd go ahead and give it a go.
Also...if you decide to do it be sure to reset CMOS before changing out the CPU. And just to be certain, when it boots into BIOS find a setting to RESTORE OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS, or something similar, and toggle it on. Then restart, saving settings.

And while a 5800X3d is a 105W CPU (TDP) it can't be overclocked, not even with PBO (even if you could it's not really adviseable). That means it's not going to present as heavy of an electrical load as a 12 or 16 core CPU or even another 8 core that can be overclocked. So even a somewhat weaker B450 board will likely work out OK, but I would want it to be one with heatsinks on the FET's at least

Last edited:

Dropment

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2016
Also...if you decide to do it be sure to reset CMOS before changing out the CPU. And just to be certain, when it boots into BIOS find a setting to RESTORE OPTIMIZED DEFAULTS, or something similar, and toggle it on. Then restart, saving settings.

And while a 5800X3d is a 105W CPU (TDP) it can't be overclocked, not even with PBO (even if you could it's not really adviseable). That means it's not going to present as heavy of an electrical load as a 12 or 16 core CPU or even another 8 core that can be overclocked. So even a somewhat weaker B450 board will likely work out OK, but I would want it to be one with heatsinks on the FET's at least

Look in your manual it explains the process. But one easy way is to remove the coin cell battery for 10 or 15 minutes.

The B450m-PRO Gaming would be a better board, with a stronger VRM. It's suitable even for 12 core or 16 core CPU's, if not overclocking.

The PLUS Gaming has a weaker VRM but at least it's got heatsinks on the VCore FET's. Since the 5800X3d can't be overclocked anyway it's not going to draw extreme power levels so I'd go ahead and give it a go.

Solution