Question B450M Steel Legend no longer reads M.2 Boot after CPU Upgrade

Nov 5, 2022
I use my pc for 2 years with a ryzen 5 2600 and an M.2 ssd. I recently upgraded to Ryzen 5 3600 and after that my mb just stopped reading the M.2 boot drive.

It's not installed in the wrong slot cuz it was already there.
I have already updated the BIOS for different versions (including the last one).
I have already tested the ssd on another pc and it is working normally.

Never encountered this problem before and I have no idea what to do..

Ryzen 5 3600, Asrock B450M Steel Legend, SSD M.2. ASGARD 1 TB, Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO 2x8gb 3000mhz, MSI 2060 Super Ventus, EVGA 80PLUS Gold CQ 1000W, SSD SATA 480GB KINGSTON

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the BIOS version for your motherboard? What version were you on prior to the update? Did you clear the CMOS after you've made sure the BIOS was successfully updated?

SSD M.2. ASGARD 1 TB
Not something I would've bought but have you tried dropping the SSD into a known working donor system to rule out your board or the drive being at fault?

It's not installed in the wrong slot cuz it was already there.
For the sake of relevance, which slot was it populating all along?

Nov 5, 2022
thank you @Lutfij!

I updated the bios to version 4.60. if i'm not wrong, before the bios update it was on version 4.20.
I tried the version 4.31 as well.
(Will downgrade be an option for correction?)

I got to test only the ssd on another motherboard and it worked fine

Yes, the BIOS was successfully updated every time.

It’s installed on M2_1, the first slot, closer to the cpu.

Dont show up on BIOS or windows
It could be that M.2 slot just failed accidentally at same time you swapped CPU. Too bad you can't move the drive to other slot. If you still have old CPU you could put it back and see if it changes anything. If the drive would still not appear then it would suggest mobo failure.
Another possibility is a problem with new CPU. I think top M.2 slot is directly linked to CPU so any problem with CPU lanes could cause the slot to not work. To test that theory you could try the CPU in another board with your drive.

Nov 5, 2022
I'll work on it and come back with news.

I'm open to any other ideas of what can be done. After all, I don't have the old cpu or another mobo to do the tests