Question B550 AORUS ELITE (AX) V2 not working

Jul 28, 2023
I buit a computer for my daughter. Not my first one.

B550 AORUS ELITE (AX) V2
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) (placed in slot A2 and B2)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0)

All the fans are spinning. Power button works. I flashed the BIOS with version FEa

I have no image what so ever. I've tried connecting to the onboard HDMI. Nothing.

At this point, I don't know how to diagnose this. Any ideas?

What processor are you using? The onboard HDMI works only with an APU, or correctly Ryzen processor with Radeon Graphics. If you don't have one you'll need a discrete GPU and connect your monitor only to that.

What are the rest of your system spec's, including processor and discrete GPU also indicate PSU.

Some motherboards may have an older BIOS that won't work with more recently released Ryzen processors. In which case use the BIOS FlashBack feature to update to the latest BIOS.

And reset CMOS, by both shorting the reset pins and pulling the battery for several minutes.

If all of that is correct then check for motherboard installation: are all connections correct and fully inserted into connectors? are all standoffs in place? are there any extras that should have been removed?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023
The CPU is AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
That's why I flashed the BIOS to make it compatible.

Thermaltake Smart Power Supply 850 W, Gold
Noctua NH-D15
MUSETEX ATX PC Case

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I buit a computer for my daughter. Not my first one.

B550 AORUS ELITE (AX) V2
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 Go (2 x 16 Go) (placed in slot A2 and B2)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0)

All the fans are spinning. Power button works. I flashed the BIOS with version FEa

I have no image what so ever. I've tried connecting to the onboard HDMI. Nothing.

At this point, I don't know how to diagnose this. Any ideas?
What processor, and what is the revision number of the board it should be printed on the bottom left side on the board.

The CPU is AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
That's why I flashed the BIOS to make it compatible.

Thermaltake Smart Power Supply 850 W, Gold
Noctua NH-D15
MUSETEX ATX PC Case
A 5900X is not an APU so the on-board HDMI won't work and you'll most definitely need a discrete GPU...but you didn't indicate you have one.

Are you confident the flashback BIOS update worked properly? It can be tricky. There are several YouTube vid's you can follow that not only help you avoid mistakes but also show indications the flash was successful.

Jul 28, 2023
I have a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0)

I renamed the bios file gigabyte.bin, plugged the USB, pressed the button. The motherboard LED flashed for about 2 minutes then stopped. So I can only assume that it works. I saw many clips on how to do this.

I have a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8G (REV2.0)

I renamed the bios file gigabyte.bin, plugged the USB, pressed the button. The motherboard LED flashed for about 2 minutes then stopped. So I can only assume that it works. I saw many clips on how to do this.
Is everything brand new, so that's GPU...CPU...memory...PSU as well as motherboard? It's often worthwhile to bench test the system with a completely brand new build. That's done with everything outside of the case, the motherboard sitting on the cardboard box. That way you can isolate which component (if any) is DOA more easily.

But it's also easy to unknowingly mount the motherboard in a way that shorts it out. Most common with standoffs: missing one or one in a wrong spot for that motherboard. Bench testing eliminates that possibility.

Swapping the GPU with a known good one helps isolate whether problem is with GPU or motherboard/CPU/memory.

If you haven't yet, double and triple check connections. Especially memory seating and 24 pin connector seating, all pins.

Jul 28, 2023
Everything is new.

I don't have anything else I can test except an old 2080ti which I tried. Nothing. In one of the BIOS flash video I saw the guy only had the motherboard, the power supply and the USB key. No CPU or memory or anything else installed. Maybe I should try that. What do you think?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Everything is new.

I don't have anything else I can test except an old 2080ti which I tried. Nothing. In one of the BIOS flash video I saw the guy only had the motherboard, the power supply and the USB key. No CPU or memory or anything else installed. Maybe I should try that. What do you think?
What is the revision number of the motherboard, bottom left side is where it's printed.

... No CPU or memory or anything else installed. Maybe I should try that. What do you think?
I am honestly not sure but I do note that some people say CPU (at least) should be out of the system for Gigabyte during flashback. When I got my B550m Aorus Pro I flashbacked to latest with the CPU and memory out (just the motherboard) and it worked properly.

I think it's worth a try as it certainly seems there's nothing to lose. I'd use one this guy's guides as he's very good with tips and traps. He also has several up on different motherboards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Bv0HWJGIY

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023
Humm... so flashing the BIOS without the CPU, GPU and memory didn't help at all. Now when I turn it on, the fans don't spin anymore. No lights on the GPU either. :-/

So I tried to flash it again with everything back on but still get nothing except a fast blink of LED from the fans when I turn the power ON. That has always been the case.

Humm... so flashing the BIOS without the CPU, GPU and memory didn't help at all. Now when I turn it on, the fans don't spin anymore. No lights on the GPU either. :-/

So I tried to flash it again with everything back on but still get nothing except a fast blink of LED from the fans when I turn the power ON. That has always been the case.
Are you getting any of the trouble shooting LED's to light up? assuming the board has them. If there are none you'll need a system speaker connected to pick up beep codes to clue you in on where in POST it's failing.

And, at this point it's probably worthwhile taking everything out of the case and setting it up in a bench test. If something is indeed defective, i.e., not just an assembly error, then you'll need to isolate which component needs to be RMA'd. This makes all of that easier.

You'll also be able to closely examine the motherboard for damage, top and bottom.

It might also be a good idea to test with a known-good PSU if you have one available. Don't worry too much about power output as you'll not be running the GPU or CPU at full power for this, it's really only to see if it gets into BIOS.

Last edited: