[SOLVED] B550 or should I get something better?

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
Hi there,

I bought an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac because the price was pretty good for $179.99 (CAD). I have zero knowledge of good AMD boards as I've always used Intel, I have ordered a Ryzen 5 3600 and plan to upgrade to a Ryzen 9 5000 in the future (if I really need to, definitely want the option to though). My confusion is that Gamers Nexus and JayzTwo Cents (youtubers) are leaning x570 over B550 but I can't tell whether or not it's something I should do as well.

I've always had overclockable intel cpus, but I never overclocked, and don't ever plan to.
I have a EVGA 3080 ftw3 Ultra Gaming gpu
I have 3 sata SSDs and a HDD, I'd like to get an m.2 eventually but never bothered because of my current intel setup (i7 4790k)

I haven't started building anything yet as I wasn't sure I should keep the board so I may exchange it.

Should I stick with B550? And should I stick with ASRock? I'm hearing very mixed feedback about them and apparently biggest concern for ASRock is the VRM which seems pretty important lol

I thought that the hdmi 2.1 on the ASRock board was a nice touch while still having WiFi and BT included. An x570 at the same price point at Canada Computers:

MSI X570 Gaming Plus (179.99 CAD 60$ off) which has an hdmi 1.4 port, no built in WiFi or Bluetooth. And then the MSI X570-A Pro for $199 (CAD, $30 off) which honestly doesn't seem much better than the gaming plus lol

Personally, I really don't like Asus because of their customer service so I swore I'd never buy another lol. I do like Gigabyte their intel boards have been great for me, currently have the Z97X-UD3H and it's been perfect, so a comparable Gigabyte board is the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi that has hdmi 2.0, wifi and bt built in for $249 (CAD, 50$ off)

I don't mind paying $250 if it's actually worth it.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Umeed

Solution
Hi there,

I bought an ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac because the price was pretty good for $179.99 (CAD). I have zero knowledge of good AMD boards as I've always used Intel, I have ordered a Ryzen 5 3600 and plan to upgrade to a Ryzen 9 5000 in the future (if I really need to, definitely want the option to though). My confusion is that Gamers Nexus and JayzTwo Cents (youtubers) are leaning x570 over B550 but I can't tell whether or not it's something I should do as well.

I've always had overclockable intel cpus, but I never overclocked, and don't ever plan to.
I have 3 sata SSDs and a HDD, I'd like to get an m.2 eventually but never bothered because of my current intel setup (i7...
Hi there,

I have 3 sata SSDs and a HDD, I'd like to get an m.2 eventually but never bothered because of my current intel setup (i7 4790k)

I haven't started building anything yet as I wasn't sure I should keep the board so I may exchange it.

Should I stick with B550? And should I stick with ASRock? I'm hearing very mixed feedback about them and apparently biggest concern for ASRock is the VRM which seems pretty important lol

I thought that the hdmi 2.1 on the ASRock board was a nice touch while still having WiFi and BT included. An x570 at the same price point at Canada Computers:

MSI X570 Gaming Plus (179.99 CAD 60$ off) which has an hdmi 1.4 port, no built in WiFi or Bluetooth. And then the MSI X570-A Pro for $199 (CAD, $30 off) which honestly doesn't seem much better than the gaming plus lol

Personally, I really don't like Asus because of their customer service so I swore I'd never buy another lol. I do like Gigabyte their intel boards have been great for me, currently have the Z97X-UD3H and it's been perfect, so a comparable Gigabyte board is the X570 Aorus Elite WiFi that has hdmi 2.0, wifi and bt built in for $249 (CAD, 50$ off)

I don't mind paying $250 if it's actually worth it.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Umeed
No OC? Don't really need X570. Want Gigabyte? Aorus B550 Pro AC. I have it. On a 3600. Works perfectly.

B550 vs X570 is mainly for PCIe 4 SSDs. B550 has 20 Pcie 4 lanes rest are 3/2. X570 has all 4.0

16 are used by GPU, leaving 4 in B550 meaning you can only use one NVMe pcie 4 drive (one SSD uses 4 lanes). In X570 you can use more (since there are more than 20 PCIe4 lanes) . That's about it for non OCers

Reactions: Umeed
Solution

Umeed

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2013
No OC? Don't really need X570. Want Gigabyte? Aorus B550 Pro AC. I have it. On a 3600. Works perfectly.

B550 vs X570 is mainly for PCIe 4 SSDs. B550 has 20 Pcie 4 lanes rest are 3/2. X570 has all 4.0

16 are used by GPU, leaving 4 in B550 meaning you can only use one NVMe pcie 4 drive (one SSD uses 4 lanes). In X570 you can use more (since there are more than 20 PCIe4 lanes) . That's about it for non OCers

Thank you! I should be fine with my b550 then.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt