[SOLVED] B550 or x570 amd motherboards

terminator1983

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
I want to build my first amd pc but after some research i am confused which motherboard should I choose . My plan is to build a mid range pc for now but that can be upgraded later without changing the motherboard.
I have narrow down my choice to asus tuf gaming plus b550m and tuf gaming x570 but from the cpu support list i have found out the b550 doesn't support ryzen 5 2600 which i was planning to buy for now.
So now i am stuck that should i buy Asus tuf b550m with ryzen 5 3600 or 3500 cpu or buy Asus tuf x570 with ryzen 5 2600.
What do u guys think which motherboard should i buy b550 or x570 and does extra 4.0 lanes of x570 have any advantage over b550 because if i buy a x570 i will i have to get the older gen cpu where as if i buy b550 i will get the new gen.

Thanks

Solution
It doesn't matter the features of a motherboard over another, if you do not have any plans on using those features.
I would go with a B550 that hast all the features I need...and the Ryzen 5 3600.
But, I would go for a X570, if it has the features I need and it cost as much as the B550.

By the way, Ryzen 5 2600 does work on some B550 motherboards.
I install one on the MSI MAG B550M Bazooka
It doesn't matter the features of a motherboard over another, if you do not have any plans on using those features.
I would go with a B550 that hast all the features I need...and the Ryzen 5 3600.
But, I would go for a X570, if it has the features I need and it cost as much as the B550.

Last edited:
Solution

terminator1983

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015

I have also read on some websites that ryzen 5 2600 is working on b550m tuf gaming but not sure will it also work on the one i will buy because i don't know with which bios does a new asus tuf b550 gaming plus come

Ryzen 2000 CPU's might work on your B550 but they're not supported. What that means is that, at best, the BIOS probably lacks optimizations for stable memory operation at higher clocks with 1st gen and 2nd gen processors and other things like that. At worst, a future BIOS update may drop functionality completely.

I feel the best way to look at it is it works well enough to update the BIOS using an older processor, if that's all you have, so that a Ryzen 5000 processor will work.

terminator1983

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
The performance improvement of a Ryzen 3600 over a 2600 makes the 3600 + B550 board a better investment than a 2600 + x570 board.

Unless there is something specific to the x570 you need like 3 m.2 slots I would go with B550 since there is no difference in the performance of the motherboard for gaming or application work.
Both have 2 m.2 slot the only difference is that on b550m one is gen 3.0 where as on x570 both are 4.0

X570 boards mostly have better VRMs
As that implies, not all X570 have good VRM's; like MSI's low-end models for instance. And B550 VRM's are across the board improved enough over B450 (and especially B350) boards for practical parity with X570's. Just as with X570, of course there are relatively weak ones so the point is you have to shop carefully either way if overclocking a 16 core is the goal.

IMO, the only good reason for looking at X570 is if you have need of a lot of PCIe slots for peripherals, and especially PCIe gen 4 peripherals.

Last edited:
Vrm on asus tuf b550m and x570 same ? or the vrms of tuf x570 better
B550M TUF Gaming-Plus has an 8 phase VRM of DrMOS power stages. That's pretty good and will be cool running in any processing load...probably over-kill, even, for anything short of a 5900X.

The X570 TUF Gaming-Plus has a 12 phase VRM of DrMOS power stages. That's definitely over-kill even for 5950's running stock.

In contrast, top B450's (like tomahawk) have 4 phases of discrete FET's (which are much less efficient and therefore run hotter) that run 3950's quite comfortably. In the end, it gets down to how much you want to spend for unnecessary performance margin.

Last edited:
Both have 2 m.2 slot the only difference is that on b550m one is gen 3.0 where as on x570 both are 4.0

There is no noticeable difference in real world use between an nvme SSD on a PCI-E 4 vs PCI-E 3 slot. I run both types of drives on my gaming rig and as far as my own load time tests have shown the price premium for PCI-E 4 drives is a waste of money.

Others have found the same to be true:
View: https://youtu.be/COofLeqk_tM?t=436

There are some utter crap x570 motherboard vrms out there...while most B550 boards tend be be better on a cost vs cost basis.
Obviously because the cheap X570 boards have to cut costs in areas where they still meet the spec. But you shouldn’t buy the bottom end of any board anyway.

Also with VRMs being overkill, more VRM means less heat meaning better efficiency.

Reactions: terminator1983
Also with VRMs being overkill, more VRM means less heat meaning better efficiency.
Not necessarily the case as many VRM designs are less efficient when operated at low power output levels. While less the case with modern multi-phase controllers that turn off phases in low current draw conditions it's still a consideration. And especially so since an over kill VRM won't really help but will drive motherboard cost and leave less in the budget for the real star of the show (for gaming)...the GPU.

Reactions: terminator1983

terminator1983

Honorable
Jan 20, 2015
There is no noticeable difference in real world use between an nvme SSD on a PCI-E 4 vs PCI-E 3 slot. I run both types of drives on my gaming rig and as far as my own load time tests have shown the price premium for PCI-E 4 drives is a waste of money.

Others have found the same to be true:
View: https://youtu.be/COofLeqk_tM?t=436
Thanks but what should i get if there is price difference. I am getting asus tuf x570 with ryzen 2600 a little cheaper than asus tuf b550m with ryzen 3600.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
I'd go with the pci-e 3 nvme ssd drive for windows and a separate sata m.2 ssd for game storage...that way you have no cables to mess with. If the sata m.2 is too much money grab a sata 2.5 inch ssd for game storage.

There's simply no way to justify spending any extra on any pci-e 4 nvme drives right now...that money would better spent on a gpu or ram upgrade. The only reason I have a pci-e 4 drive in my system is a family member gave it to me as a gift.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
I'd go with the pci-e 3 nvme ssd drive for windows and a separate sata m.2 ssd for game storage...that way you have no cables to mess with. If the sata m.2 is too much money grab a sata 2.5 inch ssd for game storage.

There's simply no way to justify spending any extra on any pci-e 4 nvme drives right now...that money would better spent on a gpu or ram upgrade. The only reason I have a pci-e 4 drive in my system is a family member gave it to me as a gift.
The pricing is ridiculous. The 500GB 980 Pro where I live is $25 costlier than the 1TB 970 Evo. If money is no object, X570 + Pcie4 nvme is the way, but even then marginal returns vanishes completely. Added to that the nvme drives like Kingston A2000 which are excellent value, PCIe 4 ssd just becomes stupid lol

Reactions: dorsai
Not necessarily the case as many VRM designs are less efficient when operated at low power output levels. While less the case with modern multi-phase controllers that turn off phases in low current draw conditions it's still a consideration. And especially so since an over kill VRM won't really help but will drive motherboard cost and leave less in the budget for the real star of the show (for gaming)...the GPU.
But a decent motherboard with plenty of I/O will generally have a solid VRM on it. It’s alright having a great GPU but if you don’t have enough drive slots, USB ports or WiFi if you need it then you’re kinda screwed. Plus if you want to upgrade to a beefier CPU or do some overclocking down the road a better motherboard will help.