Hi! I'm building a new pc with the following components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mother: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-650 SSR-650FX
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
SSD: WD Blue SN550
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

After installing the CPU (with the corresponding fan/heatsink) + Mother + RAM + PSU in the case and all the cables (including the 24-pins and 4+4 pins and the GPU HDMI to the monitor), the computer is not even turning on. However, if I remove the 4+4 pins, it turns on, fans spin and I get a red light for CPU and RAM, with no image. So the case power button is working ok (tried reconnecting that as well).

I have already tried with only 4-pins instead of 4+4, even adding the extra 4-pin in the ATX12V2, adding the GPU, removing the RAM, installing a single RAM stick (tested each slot), removing the CMOS battery, used the 24-pins PSU tester (PSU worked ok), reseating each component (except the CPU, don't want to screw up with the thermal paste but I guess I'll try that anyway).
Each time I try something, the result is the same, it doesn't turn on. The only way to get it to turn on is without connecting any 4-pins connector, in any slot. I even tried using different cables (the PSU comes with 2 CPU cables).

I haven't even tried adding the SSD, but I have never needed to plug in a drive in order to get the computer to start.

Any ideas on how to test the 4-pins connectors to discard PSU/cable issues?

I have seen a lot of similar posts, but in the end, it works after a few tries of the things I already mentioned, so I'm a bit disconcerted at this point, especially because it actually turns on without connecting any 4-pins connector. Already tried reconnecting all cables as well, and the same thing happens.

Any clues?

Thank you!

Edit:
Other things I tried:
  • Removing cables, removing the battery, holding power button 30s, twice and trying again.
    • Same result, it doesn't turn on, but it does turn on without any 4-pins connector.
  • Took everything out of the case to discard shorts.
    • Same result, it doesn't turn on, but it does turn on without any 4-pins connector.
  • Reseated CPU
    • The pins look ok, see images at the end.

upo9ei1w5yu61.jpg
xbeiwj1w5yu61.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! I'm building a new pc with the following components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mother: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-650 SSR-650FX
GPU: Nvidia GTX 960
SSD: WD Blue SN550
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

After installing the CPU (with the corresponding fan/heatsink) + Mother + RAM + PSU in the case and all the cables (including the 24-pins and 4+4 pins and the GPU HDMI to the monitor), the computer is not even turning on. However, if I remove the 4+4 pins, it turns on, fans spin and I get a red light for CPU and RAM, with no image. So the case power button is working ok (tried reconnecting that as well).

I have already tried with only 4-pins instead of 4+4, even adding the extra 4-pin in the ATX12V2, adding the GPU, removing the RAM, installing a single RAM stick (tested each slot), removing the CMOS battery, used the 24-pins PSU tester (PSU worked ok), reseating each component (except the CPU, don't want to screw up with the thermal paste but I guess I'll try that anyway).
Each time I try something, the result is the same, it doesn't turn on. The only way to get it to turn on is without connecting any 4-pins connector, in any slot. I even tried using different cables (the PSU comes with 2 CPU cables).

I haven't even tried adding the SSD, but I have never needed to plug in a drive in order to get the computer to start.

Any ideas on how to test the 4-pins connectors to discard PSU/cable issues?

I have seen a lot of similar posts, but in the end, it works after a few tries of the things I already mentioned, so I'm a bit disconcerted at this point, especially because it actually turns on without connecting any 4-pins connector. Already tried reconnecting all cables as well, and the same thing happens.

Any clues?

Thank you!
How did you clear the bios?
Did you?
Remove the psu cable
Well psu is unplugged remove lithium battery from mobo
With step 1&2 still happening, hold the power button on the tower for 30s x2s
Then reseat lithium battery, and psu cable boot system

TRENDING THREADS