Question B550M PRO-VDH WIFI M2_1 slot not present

Jul 12, 2024
Hello, I recently purchased B550M PRO-VDH WIFI as an upgrade from my old MoBo. Now, when I have completed the build, noticed that my Kingston SNV2S1000G is not being detected by the board. I have one 1 TB of the mentioned storage and one 500 GB.

My OS is in the 1 TB and the 500 GB is a brand new one. I tried swapping the slots but still M2_1 slot shows "Not Present" text. Can somebody please help me? Should I just RMA the board? I am pretty sure that the SSDs are not at fault, because when I swap them they both show in the M2_2 slot. I have been up all night trying to figure this out, I have already reset my CMOS Battery, updated my bios, and everything.

I hope that someone can help me here. Thank you!

Jul 12, 2024
Hello, I recently purchased B550M PRO-VDH WIFI as an upgrade from my old MoBo. Now, when I have completed the build, noticed that my Kingston SNV2S1000G is not being detected by the board. I have one 1 TB of the mentioned storage and one 500 GB.

My OS is in the 1 TB and the 500 GB is a brand new one. I tried swapping the slots but still M2_1 slot shows "Not Present" text. Can somebody please help me? Should I just RMA the board? I am pretty sure that the SSDs are not at fault, because when I swap them they both show in the M2_2 slot. I have been up all night trying to figure this out, I have already reset my CMOS Battery, updated my bios, and everything.

I hope that someone can help me here. Thank you!
I have an AMD Ryzen 5 5600GT.

Jul 12, 2024
Anything connected to the SATA ports?

As is, it does sound like a defective port/slot. I suggest exchanging.
Nothing is connected on any of my SATA ports. It's just both the M.2 SSDs . That would be the best thing to do. I have checked both the SSDs and both would show up on M2_2 slot only.

Jul 12, 2024
Hello everyone!

Thank you for all of your replies here. I think I have found what causes the issue. I forgot to mention that I was occupying 4 RAM slots. I tried to remove two of the four sticks, and suddenly, the storage was detected instantly.

Though I am not 100% sure that this was the cause of the issue, for now, I will settle for 16 GB of RAM instead of 32. If I can prove that having 4 occupied RAM slots causes the problem, I will let you know here and I will just buy a 16x2 kit.

Again, thank you so much for all of your responses here!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hello everyone!

Thank you for all of your replies here. I think I have found what causes the issue. I forgot to mention that I was occupying 4 RAM slots. I tried to remove two of the four sticks, and suddenly, the storage was detected instantly.

Though I am not 100% sure that this was the cause of the issue, for now, I will settle for 16 GB of RAM instead of 32. If I can prove that having 4 occupied RAM slots causes the problem, I will let you know here and I will just buy a 16x2 kit.

Again, thank you so much for all of your responses here!
That should not cause the issue. Seems coincidental to something being loose or misplaced elsewhere.

When you installed the motherboard, did you have any extra mounting points/standoffs under the motherboard that you didn't use or that lined up with the mounting holes?

Jul 12, 2024
That should not cause the issue. Seems coincidental to something being loose or misplaced elsewhere.

When you installed the motherboard, did you have any extra mounting points/standoffs under the motherboard that you didn't use or that lined up with the mounting holes?
There shouldn't be any, because I have occupied these mounting holes for my CPU cooler (DeepCool AK400 Digital).

Jul 12, 2024

I will let you know later, I will try to put my extra ram sticks into their slots and see if this was causing the issue.

Jul 12, 2024

You are right. It wasn't the RAM. I just inserted my two extra RAM sticks into my board and the board still detects my TWO M.2 storage. Hmm, I am not sure what causes this issue.