[SOLVED] B550M PRO-VDH WIFI

Solution
Does this motherboard need an 8 pin connector for the CPU power?
What CPU will you be using? A 4 pin connector can carry 22A even assuming 20ga chassis wire commonly used in bottom-tier PSU's. At 12V that's about 264W, more than even a 5950X is likely to draw unless overclocked.

The more relevant question is can a modern system function well with a PSU that only offers one 4 pin CPU connector and therefore quite likely pretty old. Because PSU design has evolved along with everything else the answer to that is probably "no" but what PSU, brand and model, are you using this with?
Does this motherboard need an 8 pin connector for the CPU power?
What CPU will you be using? A 4 pin connector can carry 22A even assuming 20ga chassis wire commonly used in bottom-tier PSU's. At 12V that's about 264W, more than even a 5950X is likely to draw unless overclocked.

The more relevant question is can a modern system function well with a PSU that only offers one 4 pin CPU connector and therefore quite likely pretty old. Because PSU design has evolved along with everything else the answer to that is probably "no" but what PSU, brand and model, are you using this with?

Last edited:
Solution
I’m planning on using a Ryzen 5600x as my CPU, and my PSU is 600W. The motherboard looks like there’s 2 four pin power connectors, so I was wondering if I could plug in one half and leave the other.
If your PSU has two 4 pin CPU connectors use them, but if you want to experiment go ahead it won't hurt. I didn't notice I had only one of the two 4 pins in my B550 motherboard...with 5800X CPU...until I was ready to bolt it up after bench testing it.

But to the point: if it doesn't have two then your PSU could be old enough to have the bulk of it's power output on the +5V and +3V rails. Modern PSU's have the over-whelming bulk of their power on the +12V rail since modern motherboards develop CPU, memory, GPU voltages from it for those devices and others. That effectively makes it much less than a 600W PSU since nothing uses the +5 and +3 volt rail heavily any more.