News B650 Motherboards Appear From Multiple Manufacturers

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
This whole AMD 7000 series is turning out to be a disaster.

It's not just the CPU that are lackluster, or overheat to 95C....it's the whole circus of needing to buy extremely expensive MOBO, being forced into DDR5, etc.

Does AMD really think they are going to sell anything in volume when the cheapest mobo is already a ridiculous $200.

It's not just the CPU that are lackluster, or overheat to 95C....it's the whole circus of needing to buy extremely expensive MOBO, being forced into DDR5, etc.

Does AMD really think they are going to sell anything in volume when the cheapest mobo is already a ridiculous $200.

Bingo. I'm still staying with my 5900x for now. But honestly unless some things change, when I look at building another system in the next couple of years, might be looking at Intel. This is someone who's had amd systems for years since the late 90s.

Is not a disaster at all !! The Ryzen 7000 can be put on ECO mode and you have cooler CPU, lower power consumption and almost the same performance. You can put 7950 on 65W , you need to read and search some stuff on web and youtube. And the CPU can run at 65 - 75C at full speed. Intel is forcing almost with every new cpu's the customers to buy new mobo's.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Well they're definitely not flying off the shelves like previous generations. There may be a lesson to be learnt here. ;)

Reactions: KyaraM and Why_Me
Is not a disaster at all !! The Ryzen 7000 can be put on ECO mode and you have cooler CPU, lower power consumption and almost the same performance. You can put 7950 on 65W , you need to read and search some stuff on web and youtube. And the CPU can run at 65 - 75C at full speed. Intel is forcing almost with every new cpu's the customers to buy new mobo's.

New motherboards I can understand. However as far as turning on eco mode I don’t agree. You shouldn’t have essentially tune down what could be argued are factory overclocked cpus. It’s nice they give good performance in eco mode, but still not as much as they are supposed to. Especially not when you pay that much.

As far as new boards, you can get some Intel boards just over 100 dollars so they need to at least get to that point and ddr5 needs to come down which it has been.

Might be good to give the new platform 6 months to mature more and you may see prices drop a bit on boards and ram at least. I’m fortunate enough my system is plenty fast for what I do so I’ve got no need to rush out and buy. Keep in mind every gaming pc I’ve owned was amd, and I might be considering Intel next time out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008

To be clear, they are not overheating - they are designed to run at 95C without thermal throttling. AMD moved from limiting the performance by power draw to limiting by temp instead but without needing to down-clock like Intel CPUs when they hit their limits. The move to DDR5 for the new platform is also unsurprising. If you want DDR4, stick with AM4 instead of being an AM5 early adopter.

The AM5 motherboards on the other hand are definitely overpriced.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022

You should probably know something before posting. We have known from the very beginning that the CPUs will turbo as high as the can until they hit 95c. That is the operating temperature. Feel free to unlock the temp ceiling and let it go all the way up to 115c if you think your cooling can handle it.

I agree that going all-in on DDR5 is costing them, but it was a aggressive decision. They really should talk more about the ECC benefits of DDR5 - many users aren't quite aware that you get ECC with DDR5 since it is part of the technology standard. If you are the kind of user that upgrades it makes sense to embrace the newer standard. If you just buy the box on the shelf and never crack the case open that buying old tech is fine.

Finally, we have already seen 650 boards under $200 now.

Co BIY

Splendid
I agree that going all-in on DDR5 is costing them, but it was a aggressive decision. They really should talk more about the ECC benefits of DDR5 - many users aren't quite aware that you get ECC with DDR5 since it is part of the technology standard.

This was my impression initially but I don't think the ECC in DDR5 is equivalent to the ECC used in workstations and is a lot less valuable.

I extend a request for someone well informed on this to explain.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

KyaraM

Admirable
And you can lock power draw on Intel chips to quite a bit lower at little performance loss as well. It's not exclusive to AMD...

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
I agree that going all-in on DDR5 is costing them, but it was a aggressive decision. They really should talk more about the ECC benefits of DDR5 - many users aren't quite aware that you get ECC with DDR5 since it is part of the technology standard. If you are the kind of user that upgrades it makes sense to embrace the newer standard. If you just buy the box on the shelf and never crack the case open that buying old tech is fine.

Finally, we have already seen 650 boards under $200 now.

They "promised" mobos from 125 usd and up, which for me is like 150-160 € for cheapest mobo (which we have not even seen yet). Do you have any statistics how many consumers on this market actually take meaningfull advantage of DDR5? (And is it enough for AMD to push through this high cost?) Its certainly not gamers who get like +1-3% fps increase for +50-100% price compared to DDR4...

Reactions: KyaraM

Cheeno76

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Not that Ryzen 7xxx series is bad, but in my opinion, it's hard to justify the cost at this point. Hopefully, once the AM5 platform matures it will be more cost-effective, but with cheap and stable DDR4 modules and the plethora of lower-cost AM4 MB choices, Ryzen 5xxx represents much more of a value in the short term. You could argue in a way the thing that made AM4 special is the same thing that will make the transition to AM5 that much harder. A victim of its own success per se.

Well you need to remember when AM4 first came out, how big of a transition that was as well, hopefully AM5 will settle in as refreshes happen. The thing about AM4 was however, you had a US President where the economy was humming along and you didn't have the events of the last couple of years or supply disruptions. So prices were not as high. AM4 over the years has really settled in and become a mature platform. AM5's biggest thing is that the economy and inflation are a real factor and people don't have as much disposable income. AMD for their part is likely trying to make a profit, but the prices are still too high. Hopefully what will happen is as people sit on the sidelines perhaps pricing will come down, or at the very least, maybe AMD could do a pivot and produce a few more socket AM4 cpus as the 3d variants.

Here's a thought, maybe if they release 3d variants of 7000 cpus, maybe introduce as well a 5600x3d and a 5900x3d as well. Foster a little more good will among your customers who maybe can't make a full jump to AM5. I could be wrong on this, but if AMD is selling the cpu's, do they lose money if vendors don't sell as many new boards for example? Just thinking it could be a move if they needed where they could let there be a bit more goodwill for AM4 owners and leave AM5 to the high end if prices don't start coming down. But long term, AM5 boards and ddr5 ram really need to come down imo.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
This was my impression initially but I don't think the ECC in DDR5 is equivalent to the ECC used in workstations and is a lot less valuable.

The ECC can detect, correct, and log single bit errors. It is not active by default the way that ECC DDR4 is. You will have to turn it on in BIOS.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador