[SOLVED] Back to windows after 14-15 years confused

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Hello

so, after xp, I stopped using windows after a short stay with vista. Anyway I went to macOS and found it a dream until my MacBook Pro died (logic board issue) I decided instead of buying the new Xbox, I would build my self a simple gaming pc to upgrade as time goes instead of buying a new system (console) every few years.

I have got myself an iPad for many things but I can’t really play halo and battlefield on it, so I built a pc. I decided to spend a little more on the spec and not get windows 10 yet else I would be paying for more hardware sooner (advised by many).

I got windows a few months ago, downloaded halo and other games, but have a few problems, one is my mouse and the other is windows 10.

main Problem with windows 10 is that it’s very different to what I am used to, from the start button to finding new hard drives, I am sure windows so was a dream to use, and I could personalise it easier. Anyway is there away I can make my pc more like windows xp, have no tile type things, have “my computer” in the start up menu and easier to personalise as before?

Solution
you also have virtual desktops with win 10. can set up a screen with a handful of windows you want to stay running, then swicth to a new empty desktop to do other stuff. then swap back and forth to view those always running ones. keeps from having to minimize and restore over and over. they can stay open where you put them as you work on the other desktop

simply to use and might be fun to tinker with for you.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Just realised something, I dont have to close the applications like twitter and make them work in the background, as I can minimise apps into the taskbar,

This allows me to run the applications I want and not have to worry about not getting notifications (I hope) and keep my desktop free of loads of windows.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you also have virtual desktops with win 10. can set up a screen with a handful of windows you want to stay running, then swicth to a new empty desktop to do other stuff. then swap back and forth to view those always running ones. keeps from having to minimize and restore over and over. they can stay open where you put them as you work on the other desktop

simply to use and might be fun to tinker with for you.

Solution

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
As long as I get messages from WhatsApp, Twitter, etc without having to close them fully, I think I am happy with that.

the virtual desktop feature looks like a Mac feature where you can have many desktops open, keeping some private, I never used it though.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
I think my keychain extension for chrome is working now... yay... have about 300+ passwords, usernames and emails on my MacBook Pro hard drive I need to access.

TRENDING THREADS