Back up drive help

I'm Trying to make a back up drive so I can ghost my main hard drives,
which are 2 WD 74 gig sata drives running raid 0, and an additional WD 120
gig eide for additional storage. All are running XP Pro service pack 1. My
problem is I can't seem to format a hd that is reconized by my sysytem. I've
tried 2 different disks, both WD 120 gig hd's. I've formated them with a
win98 boot disk, with WD's Tools. But no matter what I do when I try to boot
up it says ntlr not found. The bios is set for all scsi drives(btw the mb is
an asus A7N8X Deluxe). So it should not be trying to boot from that drive
should it? Also I've tried jumpers of cable select and master slave combos
What do I need to do to just make a blank hd that is read by my system. Any
help would be appreciated

"Chrisj" <cwohlmac@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I'm Trying to make a back up drive so I can ghost my main hard drives,
> which are 2 WD 74 gig sata drives running raid 0, and an additional WD 120
> gig eide for additional storage. All are running XP Pro service pack 1. My
> problem is I can't seem to format a hd that is reconized by my sysytem.
I've
> tried 2 different disks, both WD 120 gig hd's. I've formated them with a
> win98 boot disk, with WD's Tools. But no matter what I do when I try to
boot
> up it says ntlr not found. The bios is set for all scsi drives(btw the mb
is
> an asus A7N8X Deluxe). So it should not be trying to boot from that drive
> should it? Also I've tried jumpers of cable select and master slave combos
> What do I need to do to just make a blank hd that is read by my system.
Any
> help would be appreciated

Are you trying to clone a drive, or make ghost images for backup? If you
have 150GB (Raid 0) + 120GB additional you are not going to fit that on a
120GB drive. Connect the additional drive to the appropriate connector.
Check it shows in BIOS. Then use Disk Manager to partition the drive with an
extended partition and format it NTFS. Use Ghost to create image files on
the new drive.
Mike.

"Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

> Are you trying to clone a drive, or make ghost images for backup?

Michael, I am just trying to learn here.
Could you explain the differences or provide a URL?

"Gary C" <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@CrazyGooginhiemer.com> wrote in message

> "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > Are you trying to clone a drive, or make ghost images for backup?
>
> Michael, I am just trying to learn here.
> Could you explain the differences or provide a URL?

If you clone your raid 0 drives onto the new 120GB (The data must be
less than 120GB) you can use it as a replacement for the raid drives. If you
format it as NTFS you can use Ghost to make an image of the raid drives onto
the spare drive, which can be set to use compression, so the filename.gho
file contains all the data and can be restored to a new pair of drives if
required. I think you need to RTFM.

> I think you need to RTFM.
> Mike.

Yeah maybe, ya never know.

But maybe I should know what RTFM meant first,
before I went ahead and RTFM?

jad

read the freaking manual

> "Michael Hawes" <michael.hawes1remove@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > I think you need to RTFM.
> > Mike.
> >

> Yeah maybe, ya never know.
>
> But maybe I should know what RTFM meant first,
> before I went ahead and RTFM?

Well, I can't say as to why the drive isn't working. Just see if it is
in the Drive Manager. If not, we shall see. As far as ghost goes,
however, Norton Ghost doesn't work with Raid. I unfortunately found
this out the hard way and screwed up the partitions on my computer.
They really should put that warning somewhere you can see it.

"Juergen Fiedler" <juergen@fiedlerfamily.net> wrote in message
> Gary C <Clem_Kadiddlehopper@crazygooginhiemer.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > Or maybe Michael meant I should go to the computer shop and say:
> > Hi, do you have an Asus A7N8X deluxe in stock?
> > Yes, we do!
> > Good, I want to buy JUST the manual, because Michael told me RTFM on
usenet!
> > How much will that be?
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socka/nforce2/a7n8x-x/e1875_a7n8x-x.pdf

STOP YOURSELVES!