[SOLVED] Back up Software

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
So I have been using WD Smartware for a few years. Every so often I go into the backup file on the external My Book to see if the backup is working. Just checked and it stopped. Maybe it has something to do with a recent complete PC upgrade (new CPU, MB, RAM, etc), but I have to something about this.

Is there any easy solution you guys can recommend? I am essentially just copying what is in my data drive...would like continuous.

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
I use Macrium Reflect for this. Have used for years...it 'just works'.

Please define what you mean by "continuous".

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I use Macrium Reflect for this. Have used for years...it 'just works'.

Please define what you mean by "continuous".

Thanks for the reply.....I mean that when I make a change to a particular directory or file it is applied to that directory/file in the backup drive. Realistically, it doesn't need to be instantaneous, though.

Does that change the recommendation?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the reply.....I mean that when I make a change to a particular directory or file it is applied to that directory/file in the backup drive. Realistically, it doesn't need to be instantaneous, though.

Does that change the recommendation?
I have my Incremental backups run once a day, between Midnight and 4AM.
I've seen other people have it run every 4 hours.

All depends on your needs.

The basic concept is a Full image of the whole drive, and then a series of Incrementals, which is only the changes since the last Incremental.
You could recover the entire drive from any if the Incrementals. Last Thursday, for instance.
Or, mount one of the Incrementals and recover a single file.