Backdoor Found In Popular iOS Ad Library Used By Thousands Of Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I bet many Android ad libaries do more than people think they do too. It always makes me nervous when a simple app has a list of permissions two or three pages long for things it shouldn't need.

Thankfully, with Cyanogen, I can deny or ignore individual permission requests. For things like location services, I can also choose to inject fake data if the app won't take no for an answer.

ScottWLovesYou

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
Imagine how the tech press would have covered this if it had been Android. I love how Apple gets hacked so often now, the tech press has started ignoring it.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
The main difference when it comes to security is that an Android device may never get updates to their flawed OS and Apple will have a quick fix sent to all their supported phones with over-the-air updates. I have a Galaxy Note 2 backup phone that never received an update passed Kitkat and I installed Cyanogen to keep a more secure update. I love it when I read about people comparing news coverage like they do in politics. News should be neutral without personal opinions and it is up to the individual reader to make their own opinions based on the facts presented. Any time you read or hear phrases such as "This is shocking", "How can they get away with that", "This is unbelievable", "Something must be done about this" , "What if this had been", or any other phrase that detracts from the facts, it turns the news to propaganda to incite the audience with negative emotions. The main issue here is that the Chinese, frequently with the funding of their government, are trying to steal as much information from others to enhance their spying and military programs. Edward Snowden showed that the United States was spying on the German Chancellors' own cell phone as well as most citizens of the United States. The main difference is that the United States used mostly the telecommunication companies to give them the data with limited use of malware installed on portable devices, while the Chinese are happy to get data from all the sources it can infect. We can not assume privacy anymore on any network connected device because it can be compromised in so many different ways.

ScottWLovesYou

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
Actually, the main difference is Android phones never get hacked. They just get lots of hacking fan fiction written about them by the biased valley press. Meanwhile iPhones actually get hacked. Frequently. Android is much more secure than iOS.

ScottWLovesYou

Reputable
Oct 4, 2014
No, they don't. "balance" isn't telling lies to try to make them seem equal. iOS is hacked 8 times more often. In fact, we are still waiting for the first mass Android hacking. There hasn't been one yet. iOS has had 8. 4 of those in the past few months. When Android gets "hacked", it's some proof of concept code that requires 3rd party app installs to be enabled, requires you to install an apk from outside the app store, and requires Google Services Framework to be disabled. That's why Android never actually gets hacked. Stagefright, for example, hacked exactly nobody. Meanwhile there are 3,000 hacked iOS apps on Apple's hacked to pieces App Store right now actively exploiting people according to FireEye. And the biased valley press is ignoring that, instead writing even more Android hacking fan fiction.

Android gets lots of hacking fan fiction written about it by valley Apple shills in the tech press. iOS actually gets hacked. That's reality. I'm sorry reality doesn't fit with the biased valley narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.