[SOLVED] Background Apps to disable

Feb 9, 2022
Hello. I disabled most of the background apps but what’s the point of Mail & Calender, Alarm and Clock, Windows Secuirty. If I will disable them, means the calender, clock and windows secuirty will just stop running? :|
Also, I disabled for example Calculator, does it mean I can’t launch it? Or is it simply not running on start up and once I launch it, it starts up?

Solution
If it doesn't require elevated privileges to change (i.e., triggers a UAC prompt), then it's "safe" to disable in the sense that there's no major system configuration changes being done that would outright compromise the system.

Although I say this with some reservation as I think some system configuration programs don't trigger it when running with an admin account.
Hello. I disabled most of the background apps but what’s the point of Mail & Calender, Alarm and Clock, Windows Secuirty. If I will disable them, means the calender, clock and windows secuirty will just stop running? :|
Also, I disabled for example Calculator, does it mean I can’t launch it? Or is it simply not running on start up and once I launch it, it starts up?
How are you disabling this stuff?

USAFRet

Titan
"Calculator" is not "running", until you invoke it.

What is your overall goal here?
Those things, if running, consume so little resources as to be basically invisible.

Alarm and Clock does nothing, until you use it.

Windows Security? Why o why are you trying to turn that OFF?

Windows Security? Why o why are you trying to turn that OFF?
It doesn't actually disable the security functions. It acts more like a hub to configure some things and report status. Though I don't recommend they disable it either

EDIT: So I can put money where my mouth is, from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...urity-center/windows-defender-security-center

Microsoft Defender Antivirus and the Windows Security app use similarly named services for specific purposes.

The Windows Security app uses the Windows Security Service (SecurityHealthService or Windows Security Health Service), which in turn utilizes the Windows Security Center Service (wscsvc) to ensure the app provides the most up-to-date information about the protection status on the endpoint, including protection offered by third-party antivirus products, Windows Defender Firewall, third-party firewalls, and other security protection.

These services do not affect the state of Microsoft Defender Antivirus. Disabling or modifying these services will not disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus, and will lead to a lowered protection state on the endpoint, even if you are using a third-party antivirus product.

Microsoft Defender Antivirus will be disabled automatically when a third-party antivirus product is installed and kept up to date.

Disabling the Windows Security Center Service will not disable Microsoft Defender Antivirus or Windows Defender Firewall.

Last edited:
If it doesn't require elevated privileges to change (i.e., triggers a UAC prompt), then it's "safe" to disable in the sense that there's no major system configuration changes being done that would outright compromise the system.

Although I say this with some reservation as I think some system configuration programs don't trigger it when running with an admin account.

Reactions: ZuluGapurtu
Solution