[SOLVED] backing up a raid array that has SSD cache too

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
hello,

my old 1T WD is failing and before its demise i have preplanned to make some changes to my storage array.

so, ive got 1TB SSE MVME PCIE 4 drive as a main/system.
and 2*2TB HDD + 256GB SSD SATA 6gbs
this would be for games and movies and downloads, basically the lot.

my question is what is the easiest way to make backup for this raid array, im not a raid expert in fact its my first time trying it.

do i even need backup? is raid 0 failure rate that high? side note, im using aorus elite x570 mobo's software to make this raid

many thanks!

Jo

Solution
Backup software = Macrium Reflect.
The free version should work just fine.

2+2 RAID 0 mirrored to a 4TB?
Maybe.
I wouldn't. I would belay the "mirror", and just let Macrium run a nightly Incremental.

That is the whole basis for my backup routine.
do i even need backup? is raid 0 failure rate that high? side note, im using aorus elite x570 mobo's software to make this raid
A backup just saves you the time of redownloading the game or movie. Though with games you may have to keep updating the backup to keep up with patches.

RAID0 effectively doubles the chances of a failure happening. The point of a backup is to have a reliable contigency plan against data loss. RAID0 is the opposite of this.

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
you digress far from what I asked, please, instead of telling me how it can fail which I'm fairly aware of, the raid is happening, not only i dont know how to make mirror for a raid to another single drive in the size of the total array, its furthe complicated since this is a raid with ssd cache im not sure how it works, hence this thread.

p.s. scratch files the size of the titanic, RAWS, games, and general media center applications benefit from this raid in particular. so, may we address the issue of the best way to backup this array? preferably something automatic like raid 1 would. can i combine a raid 0 with a raid 1 for example?

thanks

jo

USAFRet

Titan
you digress far from what I asked, please, instead of telling me how it can fail which I'm fairly aware of, the raid is happening, not only i dont know how to make mirror for a raid to another single drive in the size of the total array, its furthe complicated since this is a raid with ssd cache im not sure how it works, hence this thread.

p.s. scratch files the size of the titanic, RAWS, games, and general media center applications benefit from this raid in particular. so, may we address the issue of the best way to backup this array? preferably something automatic like raid 1 would. can i combine a raid 0 with a raid 1 for example?

thanks

jo
The SSD cache is mostly irrelevant.

Just back up the actual data.
When it fails, rebuild the array (or not), and reimport the data.

RAID 1 + RAID 0 = RAID 10
Requires 4 drives. And still is not a true backup. Accidentally delete something/virus/malware, and it is gone gone gone.
You, the user, sees a single instance of the data.

WebowJo

Distinguished
May 21, 2013
I got the hdd for much cheaper than 4tb ssd

First question about raid 10 Is it even compatible with ssd cache? And then...Can raid 10 array that consist three drives is possible? Like two 2tb mirrored to one big 4tb drive? If it's possible, will it work as fast as raid 0 with two drives?

What about software solution? I understand it will need downtime to make the backup, but maybe in this complicated array I'm suggesting oh raid 0 with ssd cache daily nightly backup will solve the problem in the easiest manner? Do you have recommendation for such software? Preferably under 30$ for single license.

Your input is much appreciated. I hope I didn't come across as angry or rude. That is not my intention.

Thanks

Jo

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Backup software = Macrium Reflect.
The free version should work just fine.

2+2 RAID 0 mirrored to a 4TB?
Maybe.
I wouldn't. I would belay the "mirror", and just let Macrium run a nightly Incremental.

That is the whole basis for my backup routine.

Solution