Question Backing up with Synology (Active Backup vs Macrium)

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out the best approach to backing up my system on a Synology NAS. While a few users on different websites suggested using Synology's Active Backup for Business, a user on the Synology forums suggested using Macrium Reflect instead.

Anyone knows the difference between the two?

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
You're fine with either one. I've used Macrium's app prior to today but I simply back up all critical content as opposed to an entire drive. Furthermore, the Macrium Reflect is seen as a drive cloning tool more than a data backup tool.

Reactions: ar_0

USAFRet

Titan
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out the best approach to backing up my system on a Synology NAS. While a few users on different websites suggested using Synology's Active Backup for Business, a user on the Synology forums suggested using Macrium Reflect instead.

Anyone knows the difference between the two?

Thanks
Either will work.

I have a Qnap NAS, and use Macrium to backup to that NAS, instead of the Qnap function.
But, I do use the Qnap functionality to backup the entirety of the NAS to another drive.

So, a combination of both.

Reactions: ar_0

ar_0

Honorable
Aug 12, 2015
You're fine with either one. I've used Macrium's app prior to today but I simply back up all critical content as opposed to an entire drive. Furthermore, the Macrium Reflect is seen as a drive cloning tool more than a data backup tool.
Either will work.

I have a Qnap NAS, and use Macrium to backup to that NAS, instead of the Qnap function.
But, I do use the Qnap functionality to backup the entirety of the NAS to another drive.

So, a combination of both.

Thanks guys. Your answers put my mind at ease about using Synology's Active Backup. I'm going to try it out.