Question Backlight Bleed Question

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am currently thinking about upgrading my current 1920x1080 TN monitor to an ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p IPS one, and I have a quick question regarding backlight bleed. From what I’ve heard almost every IPS panel has backlight bleed issues, but how noticeable is the average amount backlight bleed in a light environment? I game mostly during the day and so my room is almost always reasonably bright.

Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Every IPS panel has IPS glow. Though technically the PG279Q and the XB271HU from Acer are AHVA panels (VA).

There will be slight glowing at the edges regardless if it is perfect or not.

Backlight bleed is a color/brightness non-uniformity. Now the early launch of these things didn't go well, there were way more customers than panels. Many people expected absolute perfection with the $800 monitor, and kept returning them. They passed ASUS criteria, so were sent immediately back out. There was a lot of vocal complaining about this. Which is what most reviews and googling will say about this panel.

Acer had less complaints, but they were also sillier. Fingerprints and dust/dirt under the anti-glare coating.

They've had literal years to work this out, and there have been a few revisions of the LCD panel as well.

I have one of the launch panels, and mine does indeed have an overly bright lower right corner. And the glow on the right side of the monitor is yellow and the glow on the left blue.

Once gaming, it isn't all that noticeable, as you look primarily in the center of the screen.

I simply didn't want to risk getting one that was worse at the time.

See for yourself (mine): View: https://imgur.com/c8kzwdA

And an example of one I would say was not acceptable:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/63md3

Similar to mine, but much worse:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/GSv7lAf

And this one with an actual bright spot:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ywhqr

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for your reply. Since you point out how ASUS has had years to sort these issues do you think it is as bad now as it was on launch? I've gotten in touch with Overclockers and they said I can get a new monitor or a full refund if I don't like my screen, so I won't really have lost anything. Otherwise I might just go for the TN variant. The only issue with the TN one is it has some strong anti glare on it which can make text look blurry.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't heard of anyone complaining lately. If it was still a big deal I think it would be reported on.

Except the time to make a swap, return policies are pretty straight forward. But most LCD companies will go by a dead pixel standard. Not 100% sure how they handle uniformity issues. But as long as the retailer will swap you out for more of their stock, you are in pretty good shape.

I actually don't recall who I bought mine from, but at launch there simply wasn't stock. Some people waited weeks and got worse monitors then they sent in, that was the source of all the controversy.

Reactions: lukemurtagh1995

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
I haven't heard of anyone complaining lately. If it was still a big deal I think it would be reported on.

Except the time to make a swap, return policies are pretty straight forward. But most LCD companies will go by a dead pixel standard. Not 100% sure how they handle uniformity issues. But as long as the retailer will swap you out for more of their stock, you are in pretty good shape.

I actually don't recall who I bought mine from, but at launch there simply wasn't stock. Some people waited weeks and got worse monitors then they sent in, that was the source of all the controversy.

Okay, thanks for your advice. Many comments about the monitor just after it was released were very negative, but more recent reviews by people like Linus Tech Tips are very positive, so it probably isn't as big an issue now as it was then. I think I will get the IPS monitor. If it has bad BLB I'll RMA it and get another one. If that is bad as well I'll RMA that and I'd probably get a TN one after that, but I'm confident the IPS one will be fine. Thanks again!