Question Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\imadi\Music. Error:(STATUS_WAIT_2 (0x80070002))

Status
Not open for further replies.

imadino

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
I have a new HP laptop with SSD and HDD. Window 10. All files came installed in the SSD, the C drive. I moved several files (DOWNLOADS, MUSIC, VIDEOS) specifically to the data drive D using a method whereby you go into properties of the file and change the path drive letter from C to D. (Not all steps are listed here.) An unsuspected outcome is
even though my files show up correctly on my data drive (D) there seems to still be a path in the file system from C.. That is, path D:Users/username/MUSIC and C:Users/username/Music both exist and point to the same data on the D drive. I checked DOWNLOADS and it too has both paths. I was made aware of this when I ran the windows 7 backup software on my Windows 10 (64 bit) system to backup files, and I got an error:

"Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\imadi\Music. Error: STATUS_WAIT_2 (0x80070002))"

This error terminates the backup.

I am unable to get backup to finish successfully because of this, although I was lucky enough to get a successful backup a week earlier, not sure how. I cannot now.

Q. are both paths (C: and D: ) to the same data suppose to exist?

I can enter the paths (one at a time , C: and D: , on the command line in the file explorer screen and get the exact same data which resides on the D drive.

Q. How can I fix this error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried this

Please try the following steps and check the result.

In Control Panel, open Backup and Restore.

In the Backup section, click Change settings. In the Set up backup dialog box, click Next.

In the What do you want to back up dialog box, click Let me choose, and then click Next.

Expand Data Files, expand <your user name> Libraries.

Expand Additional Locations, and then click to clear the AppData folder, Contacts, and Searches check boxes.

Expand Computer, expand the item for your system drive (for example, expand Local Disk (C:)), Expand Users, expand <your user name>, and then click to select the AppData, Contacts, and Searches check boxes if they exist. Click Next, and then click Save settings and exit.

In Backup and Restore, click Back up now to perform a new backup. The backup operation should complete without errors.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-backup-in-windows-10?forum=win10itprogeneral

imadino

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
I followed your instructions and ran the backup but it failed with the exact same thing. However, I decided to undo those changes and instead uncheck MUSIC, DOWNLOADS, and VIDEOS from under Data Files / my name Libraries. These files are checked for backup on the D drive. I reran the backup and it seemed to complete without error.

Then, I decided to run the backup again onto a brand new external drive and this backup failed a few minutes into it with "windows backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder. Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Error Code 0x81000039".

Any ideas on this one? Many thanks.

imadino

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
As previous stated:
"" Then, I decided to run the backup again onto a brand new external drive and this backup failed a few minutes into it with "windows backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder. Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired. Error Code 0x81000039".""

With regard to this problem, I tried the backup again and it got hung up. I had to reboot hard to free the PC. The next time I went int the backup a message indicating errors were encountered on my new external drive. I ran check disc and the errors were apparently corrected. This time I plugged my external drive directly into a USB port on the laptop instead of a USB hub ( I read this somewhere on the internet when researching this problem). Ran backup again and it processed all the way through to a good completion.

So, I suppose I'm good to go on this. I am just curious if anyone knows for sure or has an opinion on the two paths (C: and D: ) to the same Folder? Is this a normal situation?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.