[SOLVED] Backup SD card as IMG

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Searched on Google, found a lot of stuff like copy IMG to SD, or backup to SD, burn IMG to SD etc...but not so much about backing up an SD as an IMG file.

I have CoreElec and Kodi running on an SD card in an android box. Finished installing and setting it all up again the other day so still pretty fresh. My box is no longer supported so no more updates anyways, so I wanted to make an IMG file of it so if I need to reinstall again I can just burn the IMG to SD instead of burning the CoreElec IMG to SD, then updating and scraping all the media info etc.

Is there an easy freeware app?

Solution
The .bin (binary) file from ImageUSB is a disk image with a checksum attached. Main use of ImageUSB is bulk duplicate of USB drives, but it can be used with just single drives.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
@PassMark hmm, PassMark, same name as the makers of the app? Trying it now, but when saving it gives the option for *.bin nothing else like *.img

@Alabalcho I use to use that app, but didn't recall having that option. Maybe older versions didn't. I'll give that a try next.

EDIT... Win32 Disk Imager is a bit deceptive... instead of CREATE, you click READ and that makes the file for you. Not exactly straight forward, but good to know.

Last edited: