Question Backup software for SSD to WD Passport software?

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Need recommendation for backup of my computer to upgrade to win 11. Only concerned about backing up the 1TB SSD C: drive
Plugged in the Passport drive, but the software will not install - tried several times including after 2 reboots.
Looking at Acronis - suggestions please?
Thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
Need recommendation for backup of my computer to upgrade to win 11. Only concerned about backing up the 1TB SSD C: drive
Plugged in the Passport drive, but the software will not install - tried several times including after 2 reboots.
Looking at Acronis - suggestions please?
Thank you!
I use Macrium Reflect for this.

Full drive Images, on whatever schedule you set.

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
I use Macrium Reflect for this.

Full drive Images, on whatever schedule you set.
OK, thanks very much !
Went to site listing free Macrium - found this post
"
Aldo Abruzzi NavyCorpsman42 4 months ago
The Free Edition version I downloaded a week ago would only image removable drives. Regardless of the drive letters assigned... if the drive was configured in the BIOS as an installed, non-removable disk... this application would NOT give you the "Clone this disk" and "Image this disk" selections for that disk. It only displayed them for any removable disk / thumb drive. I see that this application has been updated twice in the last few days, if you say it's working now, I'll give it another try.

Or has Macrium changed>? should I get the 30 day free version?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Um, not sure about the Macrium brand and limitations as I don't use it myself.

So, if "nothing works", then there are alternatives free of charge (open source) as in Clonezilla. It seems most users find the macrium software more easy to use, but once getting used to Clonezilla - then at least for me, it became the default go-to tool for disk image operations.

USAFRet

Titan

So, if "nothing works", then there are alternatives free of charge (open source) as in Clonezilla. It seems most users find the macrium software more easy to use, but once getting used to Clonezilla - then at least for me, it became the default go-to tool for disk image operations.
CloneZilla is good for a direct clone. (with certain restrictions regarding drive or partition sizes)

Macrium is good for backup images, as well as cloning.

I've used both, and now use Macrium exclusively.

OK, thanks very much !
Went to site listing free Macrium - found this post
"
The Free Edition version I downloaded a week ago would only image removable drives. Regardless of the drive letters assigned... if the drive was configured in the BIOS as an installed, non-removable disk... this application would NOT give you the "Clone this disk" and "Image this disk" selections for that disk. It only displayed them for any removable disk / thumb drive. I see that this application has been updated twice in the last few days, if you say it's working now, I'll give it another try.

Or has Macrium changed>? should I get the 30 day free version?
Thanks!

Never heard of such an issue with Macrium.

Yes, get the 30 day trial. I think it becomes the "free" version after 30 days.

USAFRet

Titan
I have been using Macrium Reflect for years, since v5 I think.

I've seen NO restriction as to 'only removable drives'.

All of my house systems back up all their internal drives daily, every other day, or weekly, as fits the particular system.
Full, Incremental, or Differential.

Reactions: waynewal

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

thank you ! will give it one more try.
Appreciate the answer!

waynewal

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
thank you ! will give it one more try.
Appreciate the answer!
I have been using Macrium Reflect for years, since v5 I think.

I've seen NO restriction as to 'only removable drives'.

All of my house systems back up all their internal drives daily, every other day, or weekly, as fits the particular system.
Full, Incremental, or Differential.

got it working - got the 'free' version and was able to backup the SDD - now wondering IF I want to upgrade the older computer to win10 or 11 -
have an I5-4690K 3.6 ghz 16 gig ram

USAFRet

Titan
got it working - got the 'free' version and was able to backup the SDD - now wondering IF I want to upgrade the older computer to win10 or 11 -
have an I5-4690K 3.6 ghz 16 gig ram
I wouldn't.
Win 10 still has 2.5 years of life left in it.
At which time your 4690k will be over a decade old. I have a couple of similar age systems, with no intention of forcefitting Win 11 on to them.