Question Backup to An External Drive

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I want to back up my laptop's hard drive and not miss any available files / directories. I have a 1tb external usb drive to copy to.

What's a good solution to do this with (hopefully shareware or inexpensive) and your recommentation.

Hoping to do catch up (incremental?) backups every now and then as well and have a couple of laptops.

Let me know your suggestions.

I want to back up my laptop's hard drive and not miss any available files / directories. I have a 1tb external usb drive to copy to.

What's a good solution to do this with (hopefully shareware or inexpensive) and your recommentation.

Hoping to do catch up (incremental?) backups every now and then as well and have a couple of laptops.

I think what you are looking for is an image prog.
I see macrium reflect mentioned often on the boards.
I do use the prog but not for imaging so others will need to guide you.

An image made with Macrium Reflect Free Edition is the standard recommendation.......if you are trying to "back up" Windows and installed applications.

If you instead are trying to back up only personal files, you might use something else entirely, typically an ordinary "file by file" program that does not involve imaging.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike

USAFRet

Titan

I use Macrium Reflect for this.

The free version doe Full and Differential images.
Paid version adds Incremental.