Question Backup USB Mechcanical Drive sponteneously deleted its volume and all data

Feb 3, 2023
I have a drive, a 3TB Seagate Constellation Drive, Sata, inside of a single-dive Mediasonic enclosure that I used as a backup drive for my media files. Normally, I use SyncBack for scheduled backups, but I turned it off sometime last week. It copies media files from my C-Drive then deletes them since I only have a 250 GB drive in the computer which acts as my media center.

While I was watching some content, I got a message in the notifications center that I had never seen before. It was a Microsoft app, and it was telling me that I was running out of space and was offering to erase some files. Unfortunately, at the time, I did not take note of which app it was, and of course, Win 10 doesn't keep logs of the notifications. I did click on the notification at the time, which took me somewhere in Settings, but again, I carelessly closed it again, not really paying much attention. Also, unfortunately, I ended up restarting the machine at a later point. But I did get worried about it at the time and decided to check my drives. My C-Drive was indeed running low on storage space. But then I noticed my backup D-Drive was not showing up. I checked Disk Management, which immediately asked me to initiate the drive. When I did, I noticed that its entire volume was just gone. I ended up having to reformat the drive. I ran diagnostics on the drive, and they reported it as being perfectly fine.

As I was initially working on the drive, my graphic card failed as well. Still haven't gotten it working again, but the onboard video works fine.

My media machine is an old HP Compaq Elite 8300 small form factor tower. So, yeah, it has some age on it. Though, a fairly new processor and memory. But it is possible the motherboard could be failing. But I have never come across a failing mother board erasing a drive before, particularly an external USB sata drive. And the message from that Microsoft app happening that the same time is suspicious. Though, I can't be entirely sure that wasn't just a coincidence. Though, the drive was definitely working at least four hours prior to this. No viruses or trojans were found. And while there were some odd things in the Event Viewer, none of it seemed to relate to any of the drives.

I was just wondering if anyone else knows of something I might have missed, or what this MS app was that as offering to free up my space?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're able to hook the SATA HDD to your platform to observe/inspect if the data on the drive is intact, then chances are that the enclosure is what went South. If the drive doesn't have any content on it, then the drive is what conked out.

an old HP Compaq Elite 8300 small form factor tower
With all those failures, it's possible that your PSU is knocking devices out one after the other.

Reactions: seedypoet
Feb 3, 2023
The PSU is one of the things I actually replaced fairly recently (two years). When another HP o f the same model went dead before, I suspected the power supply, and bought a few more on Amazon that had been "re-newed". But it turned out to be the motherboard, which is why I am suspecting it this time. Though, nothing else seems to be amiss, and I can't check the graphics card just yet to see if it simply failed. I bought it new, but the model was five years old at the time. Also, two years ago.

I also did initially suspect the enclosure; however, the enclosure failing would not have deleted the volume. That would be an incredibly unlikely malfunction. The data was indeed on the drive. Or, at least, Pandora recovery said it was in a deep scan. However, since it would have taken longer to recover than to just recopy, and since all the files were just backups, I didn't see the need to go through the recovery process (17 hours) if the drive might end up being bad anyway. But diagnostics and read/write tests all confirm it's fine. Unless it is bad in a way that cannot be detected.

But I think this is some kind of software / OS issue.
_

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're able to hook the SATA HDD to your platform to observe/inspect if the data on the drive is intact, then chances are that the enclosure is what went South. If the drive doesn't have any content on it, then the drive is what conked out.

an old HP Compaq Elite 8300 small form factor tower
With all those failures, it's possible that your PSU is knocking devices out one after the other.