Bad Anti-aliasing in every game

alguti

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
Hello guys, so i bought this new pc recently, the specs are the following : Windows 7 64-bit, Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon R7 250, Processor : Intel Core i3-4330, RAM 4 GB.
So, basically, here is my problem : I get bad antialiasing in every game, and believe me, I have tried more than every option to fix this, I tried several Catalyst Control Center configurations, I've tried different monitor cables, since the problem can be in the monitor itself, which is a 1280x1024 60hZ monitor. I would even show u what im talking about with a pic http://oi58.tinypic.com/f2kea1.jpg
I also went to the shop I bought the pc from and gave it to them so that they can test it, and they had no AA problems there, also they said, that the problem is not in the GPU and that eveything is fine with it, and they even let me see for myself.
I would really like someone to tell me what to do, cause the PC is new and I do not enjoy it as one.

Note: There are also flickering and shimmering edges sometime.

Solution
Sorry for the late input,
i would say the screen resolution is pretty low. the game only has 1280x1024 pixel to work with. ceep in mind for you the most important will be wot kind off AA you are using here is a good site to get a understanding http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rb964/antialiasing_modes_explained/ . even if you use MSAA witch lets the game upscale the resolution around corners of polygons only, it will still need to down scale it to 1024p and in your picture the boats got a lot of jaggies like in the ropes, the ropes are probably not mad out of polygons only a texture "a floating picture" MSAA will not do eny work on them for the simple fact MSAA only fixes edges of Polygons and cant see the picture of a rope. if...

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
maybe you mean "aliasing", aliasing are the jaggies you see on the edges of the textures while "antialiasing" is what makes it smooth.

curious what game is on the screenshot? and what game did your shop ran to test if they'll get the "aliasing" sickness as well?

alguti

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
So the game from the screenshot is Archeage, I know it is really new and not that reliable, but my problem is really visible there, so i decided to use it as an example. So, the shop ran far cry 3 on a monitor, that was like 15 years old, u know these old box-looking monitors, and it was perfectly fine, also, they ran several 3D Mark 11 tests and it was great and they even put a new video card on so that i can decide whether there is any difference, but there wasn't, both videocards were running great.

alguti

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
No difference at all, still those jaggies and flickers, and it's not a problem from the game, because as I said, all games that i play are like this, every single one of them, I tried your solution on Metro 2033 as well and it's still the same thing, I have basically tried a lot of solutions from the CCC

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Sorry for the late input,
i would say the screen resolution is pretty low. the game only has 1280x1024 pixel to work with. ceep in mind for you the most important will be wot kind off AA you are using here is a good site to get a understanding http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rb964/antialiasing_modes_explained/ . even if you use MSAA witch lets the game upscale the resolution around corners of polygons only, it will still need to down scale it to 1024p and in your picture the boats got a lot of jaggies like in the ropes, the ropes are probably not mad out of polygons only a texture "a floating picture" MSAA will not do eny work on them for the simple fact MSAA only fixes edges of Polygons and cant see the picture of a rope. if you could use some thing like CSAA im sure there is a technique similar for radeon like http://www.nvidia.com/object/coverage-sampled-aa.html if you go down a little on the site you will c that CSAA blurs out a lot more and sadly yes you will lose sharpness in your picture at the cost of getting softer corners. the problem is your screen resolution is not so high so picture quality will be offered for softness and a lot off AA will not fix your texture jaggies but some will like hybrid AA. i recommend a cheap 1080p monitor benq are dirt cheap and good, the bigger size you pick the more jaggies you will c get a 24~ 1080p and you do not need to play in 1080p set it to 1600x1080 or in the region for better performance on your radeon 250 or read up on AA to find one ho fits you . TXAA is a good AA for low rez monitors or movie AA like nvidia calls it some hates it cuss it blurs out a lot of the sharpness of the picture and some like it for the softness. i personally got a samsung 27" 2560x1440 monitor and 2x AA gets a great crisp picture alto your 250 card would be a little small for the job i got 2x 780ti cards and they need to work hard in some games.

Solution