Bad battery in brand new laptop, replace or repair?

Aug 16, 2019
I bought an Acer Nitro 5 online from the Acer recertified store. The product description stated it was functionally equivalent to a new unit but would have some cosmetic damage like scratches and nicks on the lid. I've bought refurbished laptops twice before and had no issues with them (one worked fine for eight years and one worked fine for five). This one arrived January 6th and had battery problems on the first day.

The laptop would charge, hold a full charge for a few hours, and then no longer recognize that the adapter was plugged in, leading to a critical low battery message and then the laptop turning off. I followed instructions on the Acer site to try to fix it. A battery reset got everything working at first, but then yesterday, the same thing happened. This time a battery reset wouldn't fix it and I haven't been able to get the laptop to turn on since. Apart from the battery issue, the laptop otherwise handled flawlessly and I was very happy with it.

I'm assuming that it's simply an issue of a single bad part in an otherwise fine computer. I've already talked with Acer support and they said I could either return the laptop or have it repaired. I'm inclined to simply get the battery changed out instead of going through the hassle of a refund and then a new purchase. However, I'm concerned that a part not working properly from the very beginning is a bad sign. Is the battery being bad right out of the box a sign that the laptop as a whole will be prone to having more issues down the road? Or is this an isolated thing and the laptop is likely to perform perfectly well once the battery is fixed?

Dec 10, 2019
I bought an Acer Nitro 5 online from the Acer recertified store. The product description stated it was functionally equivalent to a new unit but would have some cosmetic damage like scratches and nicks on the lid. I've bought refurbished laptops twice before and had no issues with them (one worked fine for eight years and one worked fine for five). This one arrived January 6th and had battery problems on the first day.

The laptop would charge, hold a full charge for a few hours, and then no longer recognize that the adapter was plugged in, leading to a critical low battery message and then the laptop turning off. I followed instructions on the Acer site to try to fix it. A battery reset got everything working at first, but then yesterday, the same thing happened. This time a battery reset wouldn't fix it and I haven't been able to get the laptop to turn on since. Apart from the battery issue, the laptop otherwise handled flawlessly and I was very happy with it.

I'm assuming that it's simply an issue of a single bad part in an otherwise fine computer. I've already talked with Acer support and they said I could either return the laptop or have it repaired. I'm inclined to simply get the battery changed out instead of going through the hassle of a refund and then a new purchase. However, I'm concerned that a part not working properly from the very beginning is a bad sign. Is the battery being bad right out of the box a sign that the laptop as a whole will be prone to having more issues down the road? Or is this an isolated thing and the laptop is likely to perform perfectly well once the battery is fixed?

If you had a chance to replace / refund then go for it because in 2-3 days you started facing issue with battery and might possible you may face some other issue as well because some refurbished laptops are defected and you are the guy that received that may be. so get it replaced or else if you don't want to invest time in replacement than get your battery changed.