Question Bad bios flash on RX 580 Pulse 8GB

ray12370

Honorable
Oct 10, 2015
I recently bought a second hand Sapphire RX 580 Pulse OC 8GB and it was working well, but I read somewhere that a newer bios would improve performance, so I found the newest bios for it on techpowerup.com.
Well after flashing, it wouldn't even post. I flipped the dual-bios switch to compute mode and it booted, then I flipped the switch while the PC was on and tried to flash a number of other BIOS onto it, but none of them worked. Some of them allowed my PC to boot, and worked fine up until I tried playing ANY game, then it crashed. The compute mode bios is what I'm using right now, but gaming is less than ideal since it's a slower clock.

Here is the sticker with the GPU information. View: https://imgur.com/a/nueykWO

It's Samsung memory, and yes I made sure I was downloading the right bios. I even tried the unverified section on techpowerup, but none of them worked. Did I just straight up brick my GPU, or do I just need to find the one bios that will work?

ray12370

Honorable
Oct 10, 2015
UPDATE: I contacted Sapphire and they sent me what is supposed to be the original bios. Had PC in compute mode, switched bios to gaming mode once my pc got into Windows, and installed the new bios. Still won't boot. Whatever. I tried the FreeDOS method as a last ditch effort, except that even though I switched the bios on the card from compute to gaming mode, the new bios decided to install on the compute bios mode. So now the BIOS that Sapphire support sent me is on the compute and gaming BIOS switches, and now I can't boot up my PC at all with the GPU inserted. Now I have a completely bricked RX 580. Can't flash it because any PC I install it into refuses to post, so I can't go into FreeDOS. I have a spare 1060 6GB SC that I'm using, but this is hell since I really can't tell if the GPU is just malfunctioning, or if the bios is just not right, because never in my life has flashing a GPU gone so wrong. I have done it a million times before with other older AMD GPUs.