Question Bad CPU, bad memory.. terrible game? (ESO)

Pythonn

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
My PC specs are

Corsair Vengeance 2x8 @ 3000mhz.

ASRock Extreme 4 z370

i7 8086k @ 5.0ghz.

RTX 2080 TI

Thermaltake 750w gold power supply.

When playing ESO my computer instant reboots, no bsod.. no errors explaining whats happening in event viewer.

Don't have this issue in any other game. I can run prime95 and furmark at the same time, no issue. Can run benchmarks, no issue. Temps are great. I've tried declocking the cpu to 4.4ghz or 4.. tried different memory settings @ 2133...

It can either go a few hours without crashing.. or crash every 2 minutes.

4745454b

Titan
Don't have this issue in any other game. I can run prime95 and furmark at the same time, no issue. Can run benchmarks, no issue. Temps are great...It can either go a few hours without crashing.. or crash every 2 minutes.

Huh? Is it great and stable, or does it crash after as little as two min? If it's rock stable at X speed and never has a hick up EXCEPT one game, then I blame the game. Look for updates in either the game or the driver.

Pythonn

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Huh? Is it great and stable, or does it crash after as little as two min? If it's rock stable at X speed and never has a hick up EXCEPT one game, then I blame the game. Look for updates in either the game or the driver.

Well sorry, I should specify it's the game that's crashing like that, not the stress tests.

I had one blend error after an hour on one worker on prime 95 but part of me wants to doubt that'd cause instant reboots.

4745454b

Titan
If it's one game causing issues, then look at the game. Are they updates for it? New drivers? Did you pirate this game? Maybe it's just the downloaded files and if you bought it it would be fine. Don't look at the system if it's just one game causing issues.

I bought Doom BFG edition. It would load, then crash to desktop once I tried to load a level. Every time. No other games had that issue. A quick search on the forums pointed out there was an issue with the driver I was using. It used to work, then AMD updated their drivers and it stopped working. The solution was to roll back or upgrade the GPU drivers. (I wanted to game on my new system so I just put that game on the bottom of the list and played other games. )

Pythonn

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
If it's one game causing issues, then look at the game. Are they updates for it? New drivers? Did you pirate this game? Maybe it's just the downloaded files and if you bought it it would be fine. Don't look at the system if it's just one game causing issues.

I bought Doom BFG edition. It would load, then crash to desktop once I tried to load a level. Every time. No other games had that issue. A quick search on the forums pointed out there was an issue with the driver I was using. It used to work, then AMD updated their drivers and it stopped working. The solution was to roll back or upgrade the GPU drivers. (I wanted to game on my new system so I just put that game on the bottom of the list and played other games. )

Yeah, I ended up putting all my settings on low in ESO and it didn't crash. I tried reseatng the memory and we'll see what happens.

LED's on the memory are acting weird AF.

Pythonn

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Yeah, I think it's simply the game. Tried numerous things to increase stability in the cpu and memory. Except no one else seems to have my problem.

Oh well. Figured since I was paying a sub and pre-ordered the xpac i'd try to get it to work..

Last edited:

Pythonn

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Hit up their forums. I only found out about my driver issue because I was looking in the steam forums for that game. There may be a solution out there.

Yeah, I've gotta get an invitation to even post on the ESO Forums.

So, I've found a fix, but it's terrible and I don't even wanna call it a fix.

I can still run my native resolution 2560x1440 with V sync off, view distance max.. but I have to turn ALL graphics settings down to low which makes the damn game look like I'm playing Morrowwind. It's stupiid. If I turn the settiings up to max, even though I hit ESO's FPS cap of 100 I instant reboot.

Not sure what's causing this...

Pythonn

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Alright, little update. Was playing Escape from Tarkov and crashed after 6-7 hours.

Swapped out to my brothers g skill ripjaw's to try to rule out memory. Tried it at 3k and I got 2 blue screens back to back.
Got Faulty hardware corrupted page error and clock watchdog error. I put everything back to default settings in bios.

Fixed any BSODS with new memory, was probably the old settings I had on my corsair memory. It was only 15-15-15-35 @ 1.35v at 3k.

I started feeling around on my motherboard and noticed VRM's were burning hot to the touch...

Last edited: