[SOLVED] Bad CPU should i keep using?

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
I have a bad ryzen 5 2600.It works normally just crashes once in a while.I can game and use PC just fine no performance drops anywhere,temps are good and FPS in games is perfect and no stutters.Just the PC black screens and i lose audio so assuming PC is shut off BUT the PC does stay powered on,fans and lights are on.It crashes randomly sometimes i can go days without a crash or 2weeks.think longest i have gone without a crash is like a month,but eventually it always happens.Its never crashed while playing a game even heavy gaming/streaming at sametime for hours.Like i said it works fine.

Question is should i keep using it? i dont want to buy any new PC parts right now or build a new system.I would like to use this CPU/current PC build for atleast another year.I was told i could lose data during crashes or corrupt some software but other than that is this gonna blow out my PSU or GPU or RAM or just dmg anything else at all if i keep using it?.I rather buy a new CPU right now than damage anything else and have to replace more and more hardware.

P.S. i have swapped out all hardware and im 100% sure the CPU is bad/the problem.

Lutfij

Titan
You're sure that the motherboard BIOS doesn't need any updating? You're sure that the OS isn't corrupt or pending any updates? You're sure that the display drivers aren't corrupt and also don't need updating? You didn't mention the specs to your build but from the way you've posted the thread, you might've done all the above and come to this conclusion, without needing to replace the PSU for worry of a failing PSU or a lack of power thereof.

If you have the funds...and you're absolutely sure it's the CPU that's the culprit, sure go ahead. IMHO, I'd rather cover all bases even inspect the VRM area for heat and the entire motherboard for perhaps swollen capacitors. Often times, people come around here asking for upgrade advise or replacement parts, the truth is, if you're careful and selective with how the system is troubleshooted or even somewhat tweaked, you save yourself a world of resources.

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
I have swapped out all hardware.like i said im 100% sure its the CPU.Currently have the PC running 100% no issues with a Athlon 3000g and using services like GeForce NOW to play some games i want.Really want to put my ryzen 5 2600 back in so i can play games best i can but dont want a bad CPU to dmg anything else.

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
Also when i swap out hardware and what not i always clear CMOS and format SSD/fresh install windows.im a very thorough person and do things right or dont do them at all.so yeah 100% sure its the cpu.and im pretty sure i can keep using the PC just fine with the annoyance of crashing once in a while.but just incase i dont know as much as i think i wanted to make sure its safe,first time a PC part has went bad on me.

I have swapped out all hardware.like i said im 100% sure its the CPU.Currently have the PC running 100% no issues with a Athlon 3000g and using services like GeForce NOW to play some games i want.Really want to put my ryzen 5 2600 back in so i can play games best i can but dont want a bad CPU to dmg anything else.
There's a lot more than just the CPU being changed when you put in an Athlon 3000g. It's a different architecture and memory controller and is less demanding on all of the motherboard.

What is your motherboard and memory? and what BIOS version are you on? how are you setting up your memory? AMD has released updated AGESA that have had significant effect on hardware compatibility so making sure BIOs is up to date is important. But not necessarily the very latest as that could be one intended for a Ryzen 5000 CPU; it's most important to get it right.

I'd only suspect your CPU is faulty if you'd been overclocking it heavily, using high voltage and letting it operate at very high temp's (like bouncing off it's 95C Tjmax) for long periods. But if truly a bad CPU, then contact AMD tech support and see about getting a replacement under warranty...unless you had been overclocking it like above.

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
never overclocked,and i used it in a ASRock AB350M for like 1year with no problems then it started acting up,i had updated the BIOs before installing to this mobo,used a ryzen 3 1200 i had to do so. So i took it out the B350 and put into a brand new MOBO i just bought, ASRock B450M HDV R4.0,it came with BIOs version 3.90 which supports up to 3rd Gen Ryzens.same issue.

using 16GB Dual channel at 2133mhz.took these out and put a single chip of 8GB at 2400mhz,same problem.ive changed PSUs used diff HDD/SSDs,even tried m.2 and SATA 3.0 ports.havent changed GPU for another BUT the GPU is working fine with the athlon local gaming and geforce now gaming,even game and streamed on this athlon.like i said im 100% sure its the CPU because its nothing else.

i surprised the CPU is bad myself and whats worse is how it works 100% normal and crashes are for no specific reason and seperated in long periods of time.its super weird.

what i have noticed is if i restart a few times in a short period of time or usally in general after a restart it will likely crash soon after boot and logging into windows.So i try not to restart too much.I thought a capacitor could be messed up on first MOBO so thats why i bought the new B450 but its same exact issue either way,so its not any of the 2 MOBOs.

Last edited:
never overclocked,and i used it in a ASRock AB350M for like 1year with no problems then it started acting up,i had updated the BIOs before installing to this mobo,used a ryzen 3 1200 i had to do so. So i took it out the B350 and put into a brand new MOBO i just bought, ASRock B450M HDV R4.0,it came with BIOs version 3.90 which supports up to 3rd Gen Ryzens.same issue.

using 16GB Dual channel at 2133mhz.took these out and put a single chip of 8GB at 2400mhz,same problem.ive changed PSUs used diff HDD/SSDs,even tried m.2 and SATA 3.0 ports.havent changed GPU for another BUT the GPU is working fine with the athlon local gaming and geforce now gaming,even game and streamed on this athlon.like i said im 100% sure its the CPU because its nothing else.

i surprised the CPU is bad myself and whats worse is how it works 100% normal and crashes are for no specific reason and seperated in long periods of time.its super weird.

what i have noticed is if i restart a few times in a short period of time or usally in general after a restart it will likely crash soon after boot and logging into windows.So i try not to restart too much.I thought a capacitor could be messed up on first MOBO so thats why i bought the new B450 but its same exact issue either way,so its not any of the 2 MOBOs.
It's really rare for CPU's to go bad (unless overclocked as i said above) but it may be the case here if you've experienced this problem in two different motherboards and especially with different memory running at only 2133 or even 2400. Just make sure 1) you're running a BIOS on your motherboard that's fully compatible with that CPU and 2) you've reset CMOS and the instability continues.

So then, just one last thing to be check is if your windows installation has gotten corrupted. Try running SFC/SCANNOW in a command prompt with admin privileges.

Contact AMD tech support and follow their advice to see about getting a replacement under warranty.

ricoex

Honorable
Mar 24, 2016
So PC has crashed on all 3 CPUs i own,a Ryzen 5 2600,Ryzen 3 1200 14nm and a Athlon 3000G.So i googled something and realized non of my hardware is bad,hense why my PC runs 100% perfect and all my games and streaming to twitch run fine.Zero performance issues.I restarted PC and as it was loading all my software including AMD video drivers it crashed.if i had to guess this is the problem and nothing i can do about it

I restarted PC and as it was loading all my software including AMD video drivers it crashed.if i had to guess this is the problem and nothing i can do about it
Indeed no, there is an awful lot you can do about it if it's simply corruption of windows video drivers, as now seems likely.

First is to put in the one CPU and GPU you want to use and leave it.

Second is to download the latest driver package for your GPU and an app called DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller.

Third is uninstall the current GPU drivers. (type apps and features and open that settings app...look down through it and uninstall).

Fourth is to restart in safe mode and run DDU using settings appropriate for your GPU (Nvidia or AMD). Choose the option to restart once done. Read the instructions that come with DDU!

Once it restarts and last: install the latest GPU driver package and enjoy your stable system.

If your GPU is an AMD GPU then you should also re-install the AMD chipset drivers appropriate for your motherboard chipset.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS