Bad GPU hardware?

noname1282004

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
Hello, I'm having a crazy time and can't figure out if I have a bad GPU or not. I recently built a new system with an Nvidia RTX 2070 (including a fresh install of Windows 10 ho me) and everything worked well for about 2 weeks. Then I started getting black screens - intermittent and/or permanent ones requiring a hard restart. Sometimes the screen would go black and then the desktop would come back and then go black...back and forth like that mayb even about 6-8 times before finally going permanently black or even restarting on it's own. I would be able to play a game for about 2 hours and then upon exiting Steam, I'd either get a black screen or a crash. And upon the restart, the drivers were toast. I'm now at the point where I can't get the card to even hold an Nvida driver. I'm using DDU in safe mode, am able to fully install a driver after the restart but as soon as I restart the system after installing the driver, I get artificats on the screen when the Windows icon comes up and when the desktop comes up, I'm back to the windows generic driver, crappy 640x480 resolution and a code 43 error on the card in device manager.

I'm able to use the PC still on this default Windows driver so I have no idea if that would be indicative of bad GPU hardware? I've tried many different things...
-power settings. Using the 'ryzen' settings but making sure that the power savings setting of the PCIex slot is 'off'
-used sever windows restore points going back to before I saw this first occur
-I have messe with the registry slightly - following some guides I found to try and eliminate some errors I saw in the Event Viewer
-Windows and all other drivers are fully up to date

I unfortunately don't have a different GPU (or on board graphics) to test with to try and prove if the GPU itself is hosed but I know many people have had problems with the RTX 2070 cards. (I got the Asus turbo in hopes that their supposed 600 hour testing would make sure the card was good)

At this point I am totally out of other ideas....

System:
Ryzen 7 2700x
16 GB Trident x ram (2*8 3000mhz)
750 watt PSU
SSD, 3 HDDs
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F gaming
I only have the ram 'overclocked' to 3000mhz since the bios recognizes the chips as 24000 mhz