[SOLVED] Bad Idle / Load CPU Temperatures with Current Cooling Setup

Jan 24, 2019
Hello! I built my computer around a year ago, and ever since then I've been trying to fix my cooling issues. I have an i7-7700k (no overclock) being cooled by an NZXT Kraken x62. My idle temps are around 40-50c and my temps under load range from 60-90c. I've attempted to remount my AIO, reapply thermal paste, and set up custom fan curves with no avail. I believe that the issue may be how I currently have my fans set up (seen below):
69Ncqok.jpg

I was planning to point the exhaust fan on the back the other way around to blow cool air over the AIO's radiator:
0HeN9rp.jpg

Does this have the potential to fix my temps?

Solution
You can certainly try it out and see if it is better. It is what I ended up doing. But I also have a radiator in the front of the chassis, even with push pull not enough cool air was getting to the exhaust radiator. (And full custom water cooling)

If you haven't overclocked, you should give it a try. A common failing of i7-7700k and stock motherboard settings is too much core voltage. It might just be a matter of turning that down a little to reduce temperatures.

Also de-lidding to consider. Some of those chips have very poorly installed heatspreaders. I know I had one core nearly 10 degrees hotter than the others. Taking it apart and applying my own thermal compound dropped that difference down to 3C and made an overall temperature...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You can certainly try it out and see if it is better. It is what I ended up doing. But I also have a radiator in the front of the chassis, even with push pull not enough cool air was getting to the exhaust radiator. (And full custom water cooling)

If you haven't overclocked, you should give it a try. A common failing of i7-7700k and stock motherboard settings is too much core voltage. It might just be a matter of turning that down a little to reduce temperatures.

Also de-lidding to consider. Some of those chips have very poorly installed heatspreaders. I know I had one core nearly 10 degrees hotter than the others. Taking it apart and applying my own thermal compound dropped that difference down to 3C and made an overall temperature improvement of about 5C.

Solution
Jan 24, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to reduce the voltage and see what happens.